Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Is this what you were expecting?

This is my 8" block (well actually it is 8.5" square) for the Spring Fling round robin that I am hosting. It took about 4-5 hours to do over the last couple days. Except for the blue & white fabrics (which I have been holding onto for years, awaiting just the right project), it is all hand sewn, appliqued, embroidered. I have done a lot of needle-turn applique lately, and enjoyed doing it. The Asian feel of the blue & white just drew me into doing a dragonfly instantly. The wings have a red rayon thread woven through them. The sheen of the rayon does not show on the camera, but it is pretty. There is also a little bit of metallic embroidery thread used. I have used that spotted batik on a number of different projects. It is a fabric that has a great punch with a small amount of material. I am tickled with how it turned out. I just hope that the final recipient and the other 2 that will add it's borders like it as much. I won't reveal which fabric is being sent along with it. I'll let the person who I send this to do that (the particular cloth is BOLD!). BTW...what fabric from these would you send as a fat eighth for the next person to incorporate into a border? Thoughts??

3 comments:

Kate North said...

Lovely - you've really given the rest of us something to live up to! I don't know which fabric I'd send along - maybe the red, as it's very dynamic, but on the other hand, perhaps the batik that makes up the body of the dragonfly would be the best. I'll look forward to seeing the progress on this one. Must think what I'm going to do myself (I do have an idea percolating, actually - we'll see where it goes)...

Kathy said...

My first thought was to send red.....

floribunda said...

Love it! We have red dragonflies here in No. California and I always enjoy watching them...