Admittedly, I have been lax this year at actually finishing my Linus quilts. Only 2 had been actually completed, compared to 24 this time last year. I have made several scrappy tops, but I decided it was good to get some of the tops actually turned into quilts rather than start anything new. This week I have completed 2 of them, and have a 3rd awaiting it's binding. They are simple, scrappy colors pieced with white-on-white that was repurposed from my son's nursery curtains.
The first quilt (below) was my first attempt at machine quilting ever. I was not completely thrilled with how it turned out, but that I largely blame on the heavy polyester batting used. I asked my mom to pick up batting at Mardens last year, and didn't realize that this is what they had (60" wide for a mere $1 a yard.) Now I feel compelled to finish using what I have. It is a little hard to machine quilt due to it's thickness, but it's robust!
Two of the quilts are a scrappy spools pattern with the spools turned in the same direction rather than alternating, as the pattern is often done. They're about 42" square with borders. The picture below shows the full (unfinished top before borders). This one I did machine quilting on this morning.
My other one is all done from floral scraps done in strips. It's about 40"x60". It's shown here... It turned out lovely for a little girl I think.
My goal is to complete the 3rd one I have started this weekend, and get another top ready to machine quilt next week. I have at least one top nearly completed that I can think of, and some squares for another too in some stage of completion.
I need some advice or suggesitons. I plan to make a quilt for my Linus chapter's Book-Blanket challenge this fall. I need a suggestion for a children's book that might be good to use. A quilt must be designed around this book. Last year I did the Hungry Caterpillar and actually won. I want something perhaps for a slightly older child - age 4-8. Leave me your ideas please!!
MQS in Wichita
21 hours ago