Friday, September 05, 2008

Border added to Summer Quilt

It only took me about a week and a half once I set my mind to actually doing this! Here's what this looked like previously...

I had put this quilt on my back burner since May because I knew it involved careful piecing, 45 degree angles, and some set-in seams. In the end, I am rather surprise that I only made one mistake and it had nothing to do with the set-ins. The 12 stars around the border are tone-on-tone subtle. In hindsight, I wish I had done them using more of the deeper sage, but I selected a scrappier approach since I was literally working with scraps!

I plan to add another narrower border on next to make it large enough for the bed. This border will likely utilize smaller triangles from all of the more colorful fabrics. I want more of the turquoise and teal accents showing.

Also this week, I have returned to that dreadded place: work! I only had two classes thankfully, and no real prepping or grading, so there was still good sewing time! I am finishing up Julie's Fabulous house for the Forum About.com block swap. I hope like hell it is somewhat fabulous, but somehow I think she might be getting something you might see on the other side of the tracks :-) Not everyone gets to live in mansions! This week I have also puttered with my ALQS piece, but I'm not showing sneak peeks for a while.

With great trepidation, I have sent both of my quilt tops away to be completed. One went to the Amish last week. I am a tad upset that the lady there told me that some of my suggestions for heart-feathers were not feasible because of the many seams. I think that's just a lazy answer. I have hand quilted for 20 years, and seams are just a part of quilting. I am sure that it will turn out nice, but it has me feeling sad that I know that they will not be happy about doing my summer quilt (above) - It has ten times as many pieces! I also sent the Simplicity quilt to be machine quilted. Ginger suggested her mother who is a long-armer, and after viewing her blog, I decided she was much more creative than what I have seen my local quilter do. We chatted about my ideas, and I mailed the quilt off yesterday. My December is going to be a frantic month of sewing bindings (65 feet to be exact!), so I'd better get all other things "off the burners"! I have ordered some fabric too to make my daughter a nice holiday dress. It will likely be smocked if I can muster the energy.

TTFN!...
(ta ta for now, in the proverbial words of Sir Christopher Robin)

6 comments:

Cathi said...

Wow -- I love that quilt. I love scrappy quilts anyway -- and this just looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is gorgeous, you are going to be very busy come December. Might want to start teaching the little ones how to sew binding down!!

Kathy said...

What a beautiful quilt! It is so inspirational! Thanks for sharing

floribunda said...

so you're making me a shed, are you? I'm sure it will be lovely!
- Julie

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

WOW! That quilt is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Vicki W said...

Oh boy, that is one beautiful quilt!