Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Tomorrow is THE Day

And for any of you that have read this blog, you know that this is the day that my Fusion will be delivered. I'm more excited than a kid in a candy store with money to spend. It's wreaked havoc on my productivity today. I've had trouble focusing on what I had planned to do ever since the call from UPS came in. Thank goodness for a long weekend because my husband has his work cut out for him!

Real business...

Rarely is there a fabric line or designer that makes me go completely berserk. But I am so completely head over heels for most of Tina Givens's stuff. I like Annabella, which I got a large quantity of free last month at a Project Linus event. And I really like Cloe's Imagination, which sadly they did not have that day. But...because I have absolutely no will power whatsoever sometimes, and because I found this at Whittles for $3.50/yd, I got a bunch of it in this colorway, and in the blue-purple. I have a twin and a queen quilt on the design board. I especially love the deeper green whimsical print, and the bees are so totally fun too.
Now I had originally designed a "large block" style quilt. The larger scale prints often get lost if you overdesign quilts and have smaller cuts. Plus, this makes it sew together quicker. Today I finished with 12-16" blocks. I'd planned for the top to be just pieced blocks without sashings, but any design in these blocks is completely lost without using a sashing. So...on to plan B.

Pardon the crappy, low light pictures. It's been pouring here all day, and that's just life.

Plan B...
I spaced out the blocks to simulate sashings. I have both ivory or brown available. I'm leaning towards the ivory, but a narrow 1" sash between the blocks and maybe 2" around all blocks before the wide outer border of the deeper green print.
After realizing how totally crappy the previous pics were, I added a couple of two of the blocks, just to show how whimsically fun the fabrics are together. Really, they are square - they may just look wonky because of my photography skills.



4 comments:

Helen said...

Ohhhh, you must be so excited!! Lucky you! LOVE the colourway quilt a few posts back, just stunning!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

The bees are delightful. I can't wait to see your new Fusion all set up. You must be dancing up and down waiting for tomorrow to arrive. :-)

Stephanie Hughes said...

M, I am excited for you. It is my one true desire to have a long arm but have to wait right now because I have three kids in college and one more that just started high school. I want to get one for my retirement but thats about 10-15 years from now and I know I can't wait. I have a deal with my husband, when he gets his antique sports car, I get my long arm. I appreciate your info about the long arms (read back posts). Thanks for sharing, Stephanie from Maryland

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful colors, prints & design. I really like those bumble bees.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com