Friday, June 25, 2010

Strip-Pieced Bento Box Quilt Pattern

Please NOTE that this pattern is for the home quilter.  It is NOT to be taken and mass produced.  Not to be taken and used for you to teach the pattern.  This is my property and is under copyright.

This is a tutorial for making a Strip-Pieced Bento Box quilt. This tutorial saves both fabric and time over the typical "log cabin" piecing of this block. It results in nearly no waste when pieces are cut, and eliminates unnecessary time for pressing after every seam when using the log cabin method of piecing. I used Moda's OZ jelly roll strips for the printed fabrics and yardage for the Moda Bella solid. The material requirements given here assume that.

Here is the finished quilt (lap size).
Material Requirements:
A. Lap Quilt 60"x60"- half a jelly roll (20 strips print), 2 yards solid fabric (cut into 27-2.5" strips), 2.75 yards for backing, 1/2 yard for binding

B. Twin Quilt 63"x87" -28 print strips from jelly rolls, 3.25 yards solid fabric (cut into 35-2.5" strips, and 7-4" wide strips for outer border), 4.75 yards for backing, 5/8 yard for binding

C. Queen Quilt 87"x87" -41 print strips from jelly rolls, 4.5 yards solid fabric (cut into 49-2.5" strips, and 9-4" wide strips for outer border), 6 yards for backing, 2/3 yard for binding
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strip Piecing the Bento Box blocks (12"):

step 1
You may use 2.5" strips that you cut or strips from a jelly roll. Each block requires one full width strip of a print and one full width strip of a solid. step 2
Remove two 6-1/2" pieces from each of the strips.
step 3
Stitch the remaining amount of the 2 strips together (it is approximately 29"). Press towards the print.
step 4
Cut four pieces at 2.5" and four at 4.5". There will be a scant amount of waste, of only an inch or so!!
step 5
This is the layout for the pieces. Each of the four blocks made is 6.5" square.

step 6
Stitch the four blocks together, pressing after each seam towards the print fabric. Careful pressing will ensure that the seams of the blocks lay properly when all blocks are assembled, as well as ensure that rogue colored threads do not show beneath the solid/lighter fabric. I have chosen not to sew my blocks in the traditional manner (as layed out below), but rather pairing 2 blocks with 2 blocks of different fabrics (see below).
step 7
The following picture shows how your block should appear from the backside. Please pay particular attention to the direction seams are pressed.
step 8
I have chosen to make blocks as shown below, with 2 different prints in each. Make all of the 6.5" blocks, then arrange the 12.5" blocks to your liking.
step 9
Make the number of Bento Box blocks as required for the size quilt you desire (16 for lap quilt, 24 for twin quilt or 36 for queen). Arrange as desired.Piecing the Border (quantities & dimensions given for lap quilt) :
Cut 11 full width strips at 2.5" of the solid fabric. Stitch together lengthwise. This will be used for the inner and outer solid borders.

Border 1 - solid fabricFrom the long strip of 2.5" solid, cut two pieces at 48.5" and two pieces at 52.5". Sew onto the assembled 16 Bento Box squares.

Border 2 - "stone" borderThis border requires two rows of 24- 2.5"x2.5" "stones" - alternating a print with a solid, and two rows of 28 2.5"x2.5" "stones" - alternating a print with a solid. I made it from strip piecing three print fabrics and three solid fabrics, plus 8 more 2.5" squares (4 of each print and solid).

step 1
Stitch together 3 prints and 3 solids, 2.5" wide.
step 2
Cut into sixteen 2.5" strips. If you prefer to use scraps or additional fabrics, you can randomly piece the "stone border" with 2.5" pieces rather than using strips.

Piece these into the proper row lengths given above, adding the 4 additional "stones" to two of the rows. Stitch onto the quilt's inner solid border.

Border 3 - solid fabric
From the remaining 2.5" solid strip, cut two pieces at 56.5" and two pieces at 60.5". Sew onto the "stone" border. Note that the twin and queen quilts require a 4" outer solid border rather than the 2.5" of the lap quilt in order to be large enough for the respective beds.

Here is the finished Strip-Pieced Bento Box lap quilt top (and assembled in only a couple of hours!).
Quilt and bind!

23 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

Ooh! This is a great tutorial - I've wanted to make a bento quilt, but am NOT a fan of the log cabin patterns; this looks much, much easier... and whadya know, I have a couple of jelly rolls to burn that would be perfect for this pattern!

Strlady said...

Excellent Tutorial!! Love it! Thanks for putting it out there, I'm thinking I need to make it! ASAP!

kwiltmakr said...

That is a nice one. I am going to bookmark this so I can use it to make one. Great tutorial. Thanks.

Megan said...

Thank you thank you for taking the time to post this! I've always admired this block, and I'm so happy to see there's a strip-pieced technique for it.

Leah said...

Thanks for this - lovely quilt, very easy tutorial :)

Dawn-Marie said...

This was great. I have had a jelly roll given to me by a friend that I have never had a clue what to do with. This would be a great quilt to make. As always your quilting is amazing it seems like you not had any learning curve with your longarm. You jumped right in with your work looking like you have been doing it for years!

bingo~bonnie said...

beautiful colors and even prettier textured quilting! I too made my Bento Box quilts this way and was able to describe the same way that you did over on the HGTV boards to the "sunshine group" that makes blocks monthly and sends to a hosts to make into charity quilts... and they all "GOT IT" ;) and I received enough blocks to put together 3 very bright Bento Box quilts. :)

Hope you had fun on your vacation and got lots of R&R ;)

I got my Birthday check in the mail..... so all I need to do now is shop for border fabric and backing and get everything ready to ship to you... maybe a month from now?

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

cjquilts said...

I have made this pattern differently, you tutorial is great. I absolutely love the border and that to me is what makes the quilt stand out. Thanks so much for sharing. I am also a longarmer in Tennessee, and I can't wait to make this again and quilt it. Thank you so much for sharing.

charity-crafter said...

Thank you so much for such wonderfully simplified directions. I'm not big on log cabin type sewing and this looks so much easier and faster.

Abby said...

I found this tutorial through an internet search for jelly roll quilt patterns, it is wonderful!

On the site that lead me to your blog you had posted another quilt that I also liked and was wondering if you could let me know what the pattern was.

(I have searched your blog 2010 and 2011 and haven't found it. :)

The quilt is made out of a jelly roll and white solid and looks like it was striped pieced. It looks like a series of diamond shapes in a variety of sizes.

Thank you so much! I have an Arcadia jelly roll I am finally ready to cut up. :)

PJnTX said...

I love it! And I have the perfect jelly roll sitting in my sewing basket. Thanks so much for the inspiration and the easy tutorial.

PJnTX said...

I love the quilt and I have the perfect jelly roll in my sewing basket. Thanks for the easy tutorial and the inspiration!

Cindi said...

I don't know if you still read the comments from this old post but...
Thanks so much. I had to whip up a baby quilt for a shower (found out about it last Wednesday, it's tonight) and found this tutorial Friday. It is great, I cut & sewed the strips then recut them in a couple of hours Friday, sewed the block Saturday a.m., had the top pieced before lunch. Anyway long story short, it's quilted, washed and ready to gift tonight and it is beautiful, Thanks for sharing this quick & easy tutorial.

Sheppard said...

Thank you so much for this. Great.

Celine said...

Thanks for a great tutorial. Easy to follow with great results! I am just starting a Bento Box quilt and this is a very good way of doing it. Thanks again. I will post a link to yours on my blog when I show my blocks.

Bearpawquilter said...

I started my Queen sized Bento Box on a weekend quilt retreat the last weekend of Apr. I am doing it in bright batiks with black background. I thought about doing a Double Wedding Ring in the same colors but chickened out. I really want this to turn out well as it is for my older son and his fiance's wedding in July. At the end of the weekend I had all the strips sewn and two blocks finished. We were doing other things with our time (blocks for a service quilt, and I taught a tutorial.) It was slow going because of lack of space to spread out and too much lip flapping. Since being home I have completed about 13 more and all the rest are cut and clipped together waiting to be sewn. It's going much faster here at home - I'm pushing on it now as it is going to my longarm quilter. So far the blocks are stunning and I am liking it a lot. Will send a picture when completed.

mimpen said...

Thanks for a great tutorial. My quilt top is now ready, take a look at my blog if you like. It's in swedish, but the photos could be interesting :)
http://mimpen.blogspot.com

Connie Griffin said...

I found your tutorial on Pinterest, and have to say this is the most appealing way I've seen to do this block! Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Alice 7610 said...

Thanks the tutorial! I've never seen this before. Thank you! ♥

Karla said...

Thanks for the great tutorial -- I'm a beginner quilter -- this seems to be a perfect project. Can't wait to try it!!

Rob said...

I really like this pattern and tutorial. Is there an option to print the directions? Thanks.

quiltzyx said...

The Bento Box has been onmy list for a while...and I too have a couple of jelly rolls just hanging about...
Thanks for the great tute!

eldamuir said...

I just could not find a jelly roll pattern that I wanted to do until I saw your post . Thanks so much . I am going to start right now