Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesdays are Just For Me

I know you have seen this quilt ad nauseum this year, but the very nice quilter Melinda sent me these. She lives in the Atlanta area, and taught classes at the Georgia Quilt Show, where the quilt was last week. Melinda has done my Four Seasons Quilt Swaps in past years, so I figured she'd be happy to take a few pictures for me. "Primavera" earned a Special Recognition ribbon. I'm not sure what this ribbon really means, but it is better than a kick in the pants! Mostly, I wanted to get the opinions from another set of judges on my work.

As you might have guesses, I did have plenty of time last week in airports to stitch on this piece. I managed to get the entire ribbon swag appliqued on mostly before I left. I am onto the 2nd corner appliqueing the vines and leaves.
Here's a poor quality closeup shot. The stems are actually stuffed with yarn to give them some dimension. There is quite a bit still missing on these corners, like the many (many!) grapes, embroidered tendrils, few flowers and leaves of a different shape.
The grapes are far from hard to make, but I figured I will need in the vicinity of 125 grapes for the border. Yikes!! I have about 12-15 of the templar circles in the appropriate sizes,so I have started to make the grapes a few each day.
And, lastly...look what arrived yesterday in the mail! Here is the offending pair of scissors that were confiscated by TSA last week. I really never thought that the'd actually arrive. My husband, of course, saw them and said they should have just arrested me for attempting to take them on a plane! Nice guy... They are a brisk five and a half inches long, but are not in the least bit pointy! Like seriously, how could I threaten anybody with round edge scissors??









3 comments:

Cheryl M. said...

Congrats on the ribbon, and your WIP is looking great also. Can't wait to see more.
Cheryl M.

Ivory Spring said...

Your work needs to be recognized - thus the ribbon. Kudos to the judges for recognizing your beautiful work.

Katie said...

So I have just stalked your whole blog and I'm wiping off drool as we speak. You are amazing!! Your FMQing is fantastic.. So intriquite and exuisite!! I can only hope to be half as good as you one day. I'm your newest follower!! haha.