I have seen several of these Aunt Millie's Garden quilts done up at the shows I attended last year. Quite often they are appliqued on white or seemingly odd color backgrounds not becoming of all that effort. This one is fantastic. There are many different brown prints - maybe a dozen or so. It is homogeneous in color, but still has that scrappy quilt look. I'm quite pleased with how this quilt turned out, and home that the owner will be too when it makes it's way home to her next week.
You see, Megan finished this quilt nearly 2 years ago. It has been sent to two previous longarm quilters who simply put it into their ever-so-long que for quilting, and then all but forgot about it. When I read about her problem, I was extremely disgusted. Soon after, she contacted me about quilting the quilt for her. Despite receiving the quilt about a month later than I anticipated (she opted to reverse one of the applique borders), I am happy to be getting this back to her by the date I originally stated. It is very important that a quilter is up front with the client about when quilts can be completed. I, personally, would never send a quilt to one that told me it might be 6+ months. I don't care how good he/she is. I realize that there are quilters with unreasonably long backlogs that still get many quilts sent to them. I just am not one of them. I pride myself in being able to turn the quilts over within 3-5 weeks, typically. Enough ranting...On to the quilt!
She's chosen to only do 9 of the 12 blocks. I think it looks great. What I wanted to do was break up the very boxy construction lines with quilting that is "outside the lines". I really dislike the look of taking a quilt that is blocks and sashings and just quilting a filler into the blocks and then doing something different on the sashings. It looks stiff and boring, and not something not really fitting a show quilt. And Megan mentioned that she wants to enter this in a show or two.
Hopefully you can see how I placed a large square on point, and allowed it to protrude into the border. It's filled with 1/2" straight line filler. Inside that square, is another square filled with pebbling.
The center of the quilt has a medallion of sorts (below). As you can see, it just centers on the applique without regard for the sashing. I love the curved cross-hatching used as a frame for the applique.
Maybe the quilt scheme shows a little better here...I spent a whopping 8 hours ditch stitching all of the appliques with a clear monofilament thread. All in all, this quilt took about 20 hours to complete - over 6 hours over what I had expected it might take (yes, I clearly lost my shirt on the project, but the end result is definitely worth seeing at a show!).
Hope you enjoyed this quilt. And I hope Megan likes it too. I will look forward to seeing it hanging in a show somewhere.
On to my next custom...
PS...If you are out there and want to have a quilt quilted in a simpler edge-to-edge, please contact me. I am in desperate need of some less time consuming work to do now and then!!!