With the new year upon us, my mind is a muck with new quilt designs and dreams of starting new projects. One of these is a silk wholecloth quilt and the other involves some Cherrywood fabrics, but first I will vow to at least get one of my 2 in-works tops finished. I have this Italian floor quilt mostly together. I have the large sections done, as shown below, if you don't consider the fact that I plan to redo the large-ish green-gray-B/W striped triangles. They just are not working for me, and the paper piecing has too many places with poor points. I have this deeper green fabric that I want to be more prominent too, as it helps to counterbalance the salmon color. First, though, I have ordered ink for my out-of-commission printer, then next week I hope to get onto some piecing.
Something is still off though. Maybe it was the black and white striping?...so I made it a more subtle black & brown. Not really sure which is better black & brown or B & W. Thoughts?...since I am repiecing this anyways.
Mind you, these are EQ7 colors and are not as good or perfect as the actual Stonehenge fabrics. I realize that green looks a little out of place here, but in reality it is just right. My next step was to place a large black or charcoal border around the original center. I think that this border is 3-1/2".
The last idea is using a 4" inner dark diamond border and the tiny mosaic around the outside. I may also do a small scroll applique on the black border in a deep charcoal (aiming for subtle details), but keeping with what would be consistent for a mosaic floor. The floors of Italy are, afterall, opulent, ornamental, intricate, and , well, just plain detailed.