This summer I have been trying to take predominantly simpler and faster quilts from my clients. With kids constantly needing things, and no long period of dedicated quilting time, the larger custom quilts are just not realistic to tackle. That said, I am doing a huge custom Civil War quilt in 1 week, but all 3 kiddos will be away that week! Julie sent me a box of three antique/vintage quilts, each needing an edge to edge quilting. I have two of them here to show. One was just a 9-patch, and other than being made from what appeared to be 70's fabrics, it wasn't particularly old or unique. These are interesting though.
This is a Lemoyne star, hand pieced, and I would date it to the 1920s or 1930s. I am by no means an expert on these type quilts, but it is clearly made from clothing and other scraps, and is certainly showing it's age. Many of the background fabrics were very thin, almost looking like they were made from a sheer blouse or curtains. Because of this, I opted to stick a muslin liner beneath the top to even out the colors and the weight of the quilt. We don't want to see the bumps of the batting through the quilt pieces. I think that Julie has added the borders on these quilts, but they are in character with the original piecings.
So, I decided I'd venture into uncharted territory slowly, trying their poly thread too. It is an orange, gold and pale brown variegated. It looks great on this quilt, which is more orange than my photo is showing. This thread is comparable to Glide and Magnifico. It stitched like a dream, with only one thread break on the entire quilt. Boy to have my hands on another dozen cones of this stuff... :-) The catch is that this is imported from Italy. Quality costs. I looked up a cost of over $30 per cone! yikes...I don't know if they'd have a wholesale rate for me or not, but I will be investigating that.
New Thread test #1: Success!
That is all the vintage quilts I have, but I did a couple more quilts this week. This is a local client, Joan. The quilt is simple, yet really pretty. It combines purple batik with a couple prints that I think are Kaufman. They have metallic gold on the. Oddly, the gold Glide thread was overkill on the gold look, and the purple threads I have just disappeared. I went with another new thread that I got free at Paducah. It is a YLI thread - compares nearly identically again to the Glide, Magnifico and now Aurifil too. The prints had soft turquoise on them, and the thread is that very color. I think it was a great choice.