Monday, August 18, 2014

Phase 3 - Burnout

I have been puttering with this quilt off and on for nearly a week.  The first few days seemed to be going well, but as usually happens, last Friday, I hit a wall.  I was making mistakes, quilting things I didn't like and second guessing things I had already stitched.  It is currently stabilized enough to remove, which I need to do so I can get onto some client work.  I may give myself another day to finish this diamond border though.

Because there is a slight difference in the length of the borders from side to side, I chose to end the triangles like this, rather than running them into the half-circle spikey things.  Diamonds outlined...
In the same deep green silk thread, I have added 1/8" fill to pop the diamonds.  They definitely pop, but they are too large to just leave by them selves.  The interior needs some quilting.
 Another view...at the corner which seems to have mysteriously morphed from a nice square unit. This causes me consternation.  I know that it started very squarely, and hope that a good final blocking will restore that.
The last step in this diamond border is to echo the diamond 1/4" inside, and fill it densely.  This is the same filler I used on other diamonds on the quilt.  Of course <> I wish I had gone a slightly larger echo, like 3/8".  Oh well, this isn't coming out.  I do have some dense mess to remove, but this hasn't surpassed my "I must remove" threshold.  Currently, one corner is done, one is up to the point of the previous photo, and the other two just have the frame stitched. 
 Right now, I have gotten frustrated with my design.  I may well remove it from the frame and LOVE it; this does sometimes happen.   But I need a break.  I have been working on this and my silk ivory wholecloth simultaneously, as that one needs to be finished in about a month if I am to enter it at Road to California.  It is growing on me a lot as it progresses.

I will leave you with a look at the center of this quilt.  I am not extremely pleased with the quilting on the pink.  I ripped it out once already when I discovered the thread was too dark.  The particular design I chose is tricky to get good symmetry.  I tried, but I see the boo boos.  I really LOVE the center, but the critical skeptic in me is worrying that the center doesn't go with the rest of the quilt.  SIGH!...time to move on I guess, let it sit, and let me work on something else.
This is how projects go...I love it, I hate it, I don't know how I feel about it...Tomorrow's another day :-)

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think it's looking lovely! I know that you've been doing this long enough to know when it's time to take a break. When I used to make garments I'd spend hours doing tailoring and then I'd be unhappy with the finished product. I developed a habit of making something and hanging it in my closet for a month. After a month I usually couldn't remember what I didn't like about it and I fell in love again.

Leeanne said...

lets hope a good nights sleep and a new set of eyes will help you see how beautiful this is!

regan said...

Of course, we're all screaming, "This is gorgeous!!!!".....but then, we're all our own worst critic, right!?! Hope the break gives you just the right perspective on it, so you can thoroughly enjoy the rest of the creative process on this stunner!

Sewing Up A Storm said...

I think what you have so far is beautiful. I think your design is flowing nicely and your quilting is very pretty. But then there is the stress of what will the judges see in each stitch. I know how it is when you just need to get away from it for awhile. When you come back you have a fresh look and can move forward.........kinda like the quilt on my frame right now a huge customer sampler, but I just have t chug thru and get it done........it is not heading to a show.

You step by step design process with this is great and I hope to be able to glean some of that like the templates you make in some of my future quilts.

Anonymous said...

Leave it be for a while......and, yes, we are our own worst 'enemy' sometimes. It is luxuriously beautiful and elegant and we will always tell ourselves "if only". Hugs from an inspired-by-you reader!!!

Lynette said...

I always love "watching" your work in progress, and thank you for sharing so much about your strategies (like the different ways you mark and tips about the colored chalks). I like the way the center's corner rays lead to the fat "spines" of the feathered pink triangles. If it still feels a bit disjointed to you later, maybe giving some feathers between the rays on the straight sides in the center would tie it into the whole more solidly?

Jane said...

Okay, your work is SO fantastic!! It looks amazing and out of this world:) No doubt needed it is incredible

Soapstone Quilts said...

So smart to step away from it for a bit. The earlier post from another reader that we are most harshly critical of our own work is so true. The quilting looks lovely to this pair of eyes and the silk fabric just glows in the photos. Hang in there!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your work is so beautiful. I know what you mean about needing to take a break sometimes to regroup, though.