November is all about getting the Christmas quilts for clients done. It is also about making an earnest effort to get my 2015 show quilts finished. Both of these tasks are keeping me busy, despite having quite a few school closure/holidays this month. My kids are older, and can manage to entertain themselves some of the time. But as the temperatures are dropping (and those flakes start to fly) they don't want to be outside nearly as much. It is hard to sew in the basement with the pitter-pat of 6 feet overhead.
Here's a rather poor (sorry) pic of a recent client quilt. It is actually a lovely machine appliqued redwork quilt of birds I wanted to keep it traditional, so the blank 4-patches are quilted with feathered wreaths. These are free-hand quilted, so there are naturally some anomalies between each block. The redwork blocks are always a quandary as to how to quilt them. Sometimes I outline embroideries and backfill the background, but because these are machine appliqued, there is a LOT of detail...too much to stitch around. I decided upon the pumpkin seed rather than my second choice (cross-hatch). It makes the birds blur in the photos, but they look fine in reality.
So...with that said, if you have quilts you might like an edge-to-edge on (AND you want them before the holidays!!) I can still take some of these. Pass this on to your friends too. Just drop me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
I spent a couple days last week working on one of my next show quilts. It's only a 40"x40", and still needs some "fixit" work, but most of the unquilted areas are now joyfully quilted! That's a great feeling. The quilting is very busy, but I am good with that. The design of the quilting has altered the look of the original top (scroll to the bottom of this post for a before pic). I also plan to add a good bit of bling. I have held off adding crystals to most recent quilts, but this one is screaming for some.