Thursday, July 02, 2015

Playing with the Hexies

This is an ongoing project.  Heck, for all I know it will be ongoing for several years.  At this point, it is still interesting, but it really doesn't have much of an end in sight.  My plan at present is a design that will probably need 24 of these larger (~12") blocks.  Today I finished the 19th of them.  I have the other 5 cut out.  They are good take-along projects that I will probably have a stockpile of when I depart on vacation.
While I am trying to use all the same color fabrics, and to also repeat prints on some blocks (and in different rings), it does get challenging.  There are only so many repeats for cutting out the fussy-cut pseudo-identical hexagons.  And...even when you get the block done, and just LOVE it, it may not be usable.  That one with the orange outer ring may prove to be too deep in color to blend well enough. Time will tell how much more of the deep shades get brought in.
 
These (above) are the new blocks from the last 2-4 weeks (or since I posted this project last).  I am pondering doing the crazy, unthinkable...maybe add a row of tiny diamonds outside the block in this wild zebra print!  I want to keep the modern appeal of the quilt.  I first have to over-dye the print to make it black and cream, then do a test block.  My wilder side thinks that the infusion of the black on this quilt will zing up the bolder prints a notch.
 Here are the newest blocks...

 I love how the prints can be fussy-cut to create a lacy border on the hexagons.  Traditional goes modern.
The next part of the project, which I have spent a good bit of time pondering (because it WILL be here before I know it) is what to do for a layout.  Generally, the hexie blocks are connected with more hexies.  But, I personally am getting kind of sick of stitching hexagons!...I have sketched several possibilities from completely different (and requiring a ton more hexagons) to more basic.
This is one of my EQ generated layouts.  I like it, but really don't want my open space to be comprised of seam after seam after seam!  The quilting designs look nicer on a flat piece of fabric. None the less, it is a consideration.
Even though these are non-traditional blocks in their fabrics, I am partly leaning to a more traditional and simpler layout.  I like the idea of having nice quiltable neutral space, in a variety of neutral shades.  I also would make up 25 small (one row) hexagon flowers to applique where the small pink "things" on this layout are.  That is another way to help distribute the colors of the blocks everywhere.  I got very nice comments on my NQA judging of Bouquet Royale and the use of silk with the cotton, so I may even consider using some silk for the background.  It's not my favorite to applique to, but it does yield gorgeous quilting.  Anybody know someone to hand-dye about 10 shades of beige?!?


 Oh well, time for me to get myself to yet another baseball game.  Sigh...this time of year is exhausting!

5 comments:

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Cherrywood would probably dye the fabric for you, but they may need to cut it down to more manageable pieces. You should talk to Karla!

Monica said...

Contact Debra Linker for custom dyeing. She can definitely help you out.

Her website is http://debralinker.com or you can find her on Facebook.

Rebecca Grace said...

Margaret, I really like the hexagons with the bolder rings, and I think the zebra fabric could be the spark of genius that makes this quilt. As far as the layout... I get what you mean about not wanting a gazillion hexagon seams in your wide open quilting areas. Why not use that EQ7 layout for your pieced hexagons, but lay them out onto flat yardage, baste in place with glue or stitches when you have everything where you want it, appliqué the edges in place, and then trim away the fabric behind your applique shapes? Then you get the layout you wanted with plenty of smooth space to show off your magnificent quilting.

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Those are really looking awesome. I have done fabric dyeing for years and have made friends with a few people the do it much more. Vicki Welsh of Field Trips In Fiber blog sells dyed fabrics and used to post on MQR (where I got to know her). You might try contacting her.

Cheryl M. said...

The hexies look great, can't watch to see the end result. For the dying look up Vickie Welsh she does custom dying all the time.
http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_trips_in_fiber/