October has been challenging on many fronts. I have many quilts to get done before Christmas, some quite large and some very detailed. I also have two of my own in the works, or I should say "in the finishing stages". There are always other stragglers that are being stitched on but not at the quilting stage. October has been a wretched month though for the stay at home worker. The kids have had 3 days off, and have a 1/2 day next week. We are very busy with soccer, and gymnastics, and homework - making me have not enough tine to process and think about designs. Being scattered and disorganized causes stress. I have an 8th grader -- he creates WAY too much of that anyway.
Here's a few finishes. This is a redwork quilt. I would have loved to have had more budget to do custom quilting on the pieced stars, but that is life. This was the only place to realistically cut the cost down, so they are E2E.
The only area of this quilt that was challenging was the sashings. The striped fabric didn't always meet at the same place in the print, and some of the intersections were not ideal -- making most conventional designs for sashing quilting not good choices. I needed to choose a design that drew the eye away from the sashing piecing. The next pic shows what I mean... Most intersections were decent, but half a dozen or so needed adjusting.
I chose this red stipple-filled square/diamond to bring the red into the sashing. This is a traditionally-pieced quilt using more modern fabric choices, so I felt that I could juxtapose the traditional feathers with a more modern sashing. I think it worked, and draws the eye away from the piecing.
I used line work, some feathers and free-handed continuous curves.
This is the first quilt in ages that I got off the frame, was pleased that I made the estimated budget, photographed, and then stood back and said "hmmpphhh? I don't like this". The next morning I reloaded it, and added a good hour of stitching to the grey square border. The puffyness just wasny sitting well with me, and the quilt didn't lay properly. This area was underquilted.
I have a monster 100+x100" quilt loaded presently that I am doing my darndest to procrastinate the quilting on. I am currently 15% done, with little motivation to get through it quickly. Sigh... I am going downstairs to work on my hexagons for a couple hours. I have taken off the star points I showed a month ago, and with newly dyed silk in hand, am redoing these blocks. I will add that I just love how they are coming out. The backtracking is worth my effort. These will be gorgeous set on the champagne-colored silk, someday!
I'll leave you with a glimpse of New England's fall color, taken a week ago, and my pretty littlest bunny. I, personally, refuse to believe that fall is ending because that doesn't leave me in a good mental state for what comes next. I'm just not cut out for this climate. Just wish my husband could get it.