I have a client's very monstrous Neimeyer Mariner's Star quilt on my frame on it's way to being finished. Maybe by mid-week, that is...sigh! It is 108" of enormous, and it does not lack from a gross amount of ruler work. "Good things come to those that are patient", I keep telling myself, as I quilt on. This is the last quilt before I will put my Swamp Carpenter's star back on for it's final finishes. There's not much time to spare, as the photos and entry are due in 15 days for MQX. I want to be able to get it blocked first so I know if it bleeds to heck and back. This quilt was made back in my carefree piecing days, when I rarely prewashed. One of it's predecessors bled horribly.
It is a snowy day here in Maine today, perfect for quilting. My order of thread from Superior Threads arrived in record time. It has several I hope to use on this quilt, including one I am using for a little detail work.
Normally I quilt the backgrounds with Kimono silk, which is a 100 weight - that's super fine. But on a couple of quilts last year I tried out their Tire silk - it is a 30 weight. It shows great as a trimming-out/detailing thread. For kicks, I got a couple spools of the black to outline these. Though it could be stitched on the longarm, I figured I'd do it on the DSM. Adding this thread in the past has been to cover-up when a stitched line was not quilt as I liked, or to enhance a part of the quilting. Here it is just for finishing.
Here's a peek at a few more of these crazy-bold hexagon blocks...