Meet my newest show quilt. I call her "Taking the Unmapped Road". It is currently at it's first show, MQX. At the time I wrote this post, judging had not yet taken place. By now, though, it is judged and it's fate is sealed. I will find out on Wednesday evening if it ribboned or not.
This quilt is an original of my own design, created using EQ7. In October of 2014 when I started it, it was conceived merely as a "filler" project. I needed something mindless to piece. I was just finishing Bouquet Royale, and I was tired of every detail. I wanted something simpler. In all honesty, I loathe paper piecing, but it's the best technique to ensure pointy triangles. There was a LOT of semi-mindless paper-piecing on this quilt.
(finished but not painted. It needed more!)
Somewhere in the mindless process, which was supposed to keep me from feeling invested in the project, I decided I really loved the quilt. The colors were vibrant and powerful, and they were drawing me in. It is hard to see from the photos, but there are a few silks, and the more chartreuse greens are almost luminescent.
(photo of first quilting on outer border)
This past fall, after Houston, I resurrected the quilt. First order of business was to remove the quilting of the red border. I never liked it, and had a new plan to try. This new idea was a one-shot deal - there would be no removing this if I didn't like it! No risk of that, though, as I totally LOVED the effect. It was different for me, but it looked great.
and crosshatching too...
I finally got the nerve to paint this interconnected scallop border in late January. I had to mix the colors to get the right shades. THAT was nerve-wracking. Hindsight tells me I should have appliqued these, but I didn't even have these scallops on the radar until I designed the quilting. THEN I got the notion that they'd look good colored. Go figure.
The binding treatment is of my own conception. I am not a fan whatsoever of prairie points, but I envisioned this quilted scallop-prairie point contraption as an extension of the outer row of NYB blocks. It was finicky, but not as hard as I thought. Each of these 3" scallops was initially quilted on my longarm. They were then cut out and turned with another backing fabric on the DSM. This sounds simple, but much experimentation on how to do this so that a beautiful, smooth-edge scallop resulted. I wasn't going to do the edge treatment any other way. The purple prairie points are done the typical way.
And so we are done with the pretty pictures. As I write this (it's only Saturday), I wonder if it will earn a ribbon, and I wonder if viewers will enjoy looking at it. To me it is much more. It is a 2 year journey beginning with choosing fabrics at the Hershey and Houston shows. It is a calming, cooling time for me to do simple piecing, without an end result really in mind. This quilt was kind of designed as the blocks were stitched -- hence the "unmapped road". The binding without a plan falls into that uncharted territory as well.
Enjoy, and have a great week.