This is an ongoing project. Heck, for all I know it will be ongoing for several years. At this point, it is still interesting, but it really doesn't have much of an end in sight. My plan at present is a design that will probably need 24 of these larger (~12") blocks. Today I finished the 19th of them. I have the other 5 cut out. They are good take-along projects that I will probably have a stockpile of when I depart on vacation.
These (above) are the new blocks from the last 2-4 weeks (or since I posted this project last). I am pondering doing the crazy, unthinkable...maybe add a row of tiny diamonds outside the block in this wild zebra print! I want to keep the modern appeal of the quilt. I first have to over-dye the print to make it black and cream, then do a test block. My wilder side thinks that the infusion of the black on this quilt will zing up the bolder prints a notch.
The next part of the project, which I have spent a good bit of time pondering (because it WILL be here before I know it) is what to do for a layout. Generally, the hexie blocks are connected with more hexies. But, I personally am getting kind of sick of stitching hexagons!...I have sketched several possibilities from completely different (and requiring a ton more hexagons) to more basic.
This is one of my EQ generated layouts. I like it, but really don't want my open space to be comprised of seam after seam after seam! The quilting designs look nicer on a flat piece of fabric. None the less, it is a consideration.