Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Amazing News!

Well, Heavens to Betsy...Look at that - Somehow half of January crept by without me realizing that my blog hadn't been updated.  I have certainly been busy (perhaps not quite as productive as I ought to be, but definitely busy doing something!).

Much of my time recently has been spent working out the details and creating the samples for my new classes which will debut this April at MQX.  You all know by now that this is definitely my favorite quilt show.  It's a real good thing too that it is under 2 hours from home!!

Oh, and a tidbit of book news.  My AQS book, though delayed, is moving as quickly thru the editing process as possible.  Nobody wants it done and published more than me and my AQS editor.  Due to their downsizing, a small yet pertinent detail that the book WAS supposed to contain the quilt patterns seemed to slip through their cracks.  It has been resurrected, and they have this detail to get put onto CD, and then she's off to the printers!  AND <>  I have the complete manuscript for a second book which I am self-publishing all done.  I have already printed a proof copy, and am currently researching possible local print shops to run the books for me.  It is about the Grid-Based fills, and will accompany one of my favorite classes that will be taught at MQX.  Now, if I can get kids in school, husband outta the house, I just might make the other self-published book I have on my back burner, if not by April, then soon after.  Phew... yes, I have been busy.

I have learned today that I have actually been nominated for this!...Really not sure how this happened, but mighty grateful.  I have spent years trying to make this blog an informative and educational experience for quilters.  More recently, I have been teaching them in a classroom setting too.  Somebody must have been learning something :-)

Let me tell you about this award.  It does not have to be given to a teacher that is teaching at MQX this year.  It will go to the teacher that inspired and educated the most.  If you find it in your liking to nominate or vote for a teacher, here is the link.  Be sure that you write something though about how or what this person did because those voting on the recipient are looking more specifically at what the teacher did, than the quantity of votes.

I am gearing up to custom quilt a couple of beautiful client quilts, just as soon as their batting arrives. In the meantime, here is a glimpse at some of my craziness.    This is my quilt that will actually debut at MQX.  I have yet to choose a name, but it is coming right along.  The very-crazy binding/edging has been an adventure and a half, and I am sure you'd love to hear about HOW exactly I made it, just as soon as it goes to show.  I am getting ready to (maybe) add some hand-painting to the interlocked arches around the NYB blocks.  It's still a big "maybe", because I am kind of chicken to take the first step!
When not writing or editing, I have been busy like a bee creating some samples for my new classes. This is a sneak peek of one of them.  When I am done, I will have several similar mini-quilts, all geared to assist in showing my design process.  Thank goodness to my mother, who made time to whip up 2 of these star blocks for me.   Though my class is technically full, I am very likely to be trying to teach this class at other venues as well, including MQX midwest in late September.  

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Congratulations, Amy! You've done more to help us users of domestic machines get started on ruler work than anyone I can think of! I hope you win. You deserve it.

Heritage Keepsakes said...

Congratulations on the teacher nomination award. Well deserved. Sure hope your teaching at Houston this year. I'm dying to take a class from you!!!

kupton52 said...

I am so happy for you....honestly. No one deserves a "Teacher of the Year" more than you. Although I have not had the privilege of taking a class with you, I have ready every single blog post and have been inspired by your quilting; especially the exponential rate of improvement you showed. Nothing else has inspired and motivated me as much, as a new longarmer, than seeing first-hand what improvement constant practice brings to one's own machine-quilting ability. Congratulations on the books, as well. I look forward to owning both of them. Blessings, from the bottom of my heart....