Monday, July 30, 2007

Four Seasons Quilt Swap - Quilters & Sewers WANTED!!


I have been so intrigued with the blog swaps I have seen lately that I am soliciting sewers and quilters for another. I have canvased other swap lists to formulate an initial list of crafty people to whom this link was sent. I've seen your work and it's awesome. The creativity is beyond my imagination. I hope this project is something you all will consider.

About me...I will coordinate the project. I have sewed since I was a girl (ahhh, dare I say 30+ years), and made quilts for the last 20 years. I have dabbled in many creative endeavors from scrapbooking to embroidery to smocking as well. As an engineer in my pre-momma days, I have the organization to keep a project going and to get it completed. Being a mom hasn't stiffled my sewing & quilting; I just lost the room I used to use due to baby #3. As my hubby says, I don't need a sewing room since the dining room has been converted with cloth. Just this year I have completed 25 quilts for Project Linus, and several quilt tops awaiting quilting.

Here's what I propose for the first swap...
This is the Four Seasons Swap. If all goes smoothly, over the next year we can collectively create a quilted project for each season. With Summer approaching it's end soon, let's begin with Fall.

Create a doll-sized quilt depicting your interpretation of fall. There are no design guidlines; use your imagination and you cannot go wrong. Keep the size between 12" x 12" and 18" x 18", with rectangular or square being OK. It may be for a wall or for a table (as in a runner or centerpiece). Please use prewashed cotton or cotton blend materials if possible. Embellishment with anything that sews on is great (ie., trims, ric-rac, buttons). Please no glue though. Specify to your swap partner how quilt should be washed. The back of your quilt should include a personalized label with the name you selected four your Fall quilt, the date and your name, at a minimum. The quilt top may be pieced, applique, or whatever floats your boat. Consider possibly a pieced quilt in fall colors, or something depicting fall, or a quilt for one of the fall holidays, OR WHATEVER SAYS "FALL" TO YOU!

August 18, 2007 - The deadline to commit to the swap challenge. The quilt must be completed by September 30, 2007 and mailed to your swap partner. Depending on the response, the registration may close.

If you are interested, email me
msolomo1@maine.rr.com . Please include your full name, mailing address, blog URL if you have one and whether you are willing to ship internationally. Note: your last name & address will not be given on the internet, only to your swap partner. I encourage you all to indicate some of your preferences to style and color so that you may be matched with an appropriate partner - both in what you like to make & what you like to receive. If you do not have preference and would rather be surprised, that is great too. By August 27, I will email each of you with your swap partner's information & quilt requests. I encourage you to post pictures of your quilts on your blog, as the person that you are making it for will not know who you are until it is mailed/received. I will also set up a group share on a photo site for these pictures to be viewed.

I encourage all of you to please spread the word about this to friends & family you may know that may be interested.
Please note I will be on vacation August 18-25, and will NOT be email accessible.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Margaret,

I received your post on my blog regarding the PIF Exchange. Send me your address and I will put your gift in the mail. Thanks for joining in. I am giving your Four Seasons swap some thought. Need to decide if I can dedicate the time. Sounds fun though.

~Niki~ said...

Just emailed you my info :)

Doodles said...

HI there,
Thanks for you interest in my quilting. I will have to see if I have time. Will check back on your blog.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

There is a quilt with hearts in each block in Pinterest and your blog - can you please tell me the pattern