After about 15 hours of machine quilting and at least 750 yards of thread (yes that is nearly a half mile of thread JUST for the top of the quilt - says nothing of the bobbins!), my Big Bear quilt for the Project Linus Book Blanket challenge is completed. Surprisingly, it is still mostly white, despite quilting in my basement. It was quite a task not allowing it to touch the floor.
The overall quilt is 44" x 56", which is really larger than I like to quilt on my machine. My Singer just does not have quilt enough throat depth to accommodate that much fabric.
I added the pale gold inner border in hopes of bringing out the color of the bears a little bit. I am still not sure that I love it as much as if I had kept it all in blue and white. Too Late now!!!
Around the six inch outer border I mimicked the diamonds of the main part of the quilt. Around them is quilted in a wave-like design of white rayon, while the inside of the diamonds is actually done in pale aqua. It's a little hard to see, but in person it shows nicely.
The binding is scrappy from all of the remains of the blues of the quilt.
The blankets will be turned in sometime before October 10th. The "show" is not until early November. I don't expect to win this again this year. This quilt is nicely made, but not as fun and childish as the one I did last year. The blankets will be distributed to children of all ages that are inthe Barbara Bush Children's Hospital in Portland, ME between Thanksgiving & Christmas. It's a win-win project either way. I could never imagine having one of my kids in the hospital. A soft sweet blanket can only make it a less frightening experience.
Pink Floral Computer Custom Quilting
21 hours ago