Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Sewing Something a little Different

I mostly finished up my daughter's birthday dress. Her birthday is still 2 months away, but now she can wear it this summer too. I have used this pattern, but made a few small modifications/enhancements. I opted not to do a more time-consuming smocked dress like I did last year, in hopes of getting it done faster, and perhaps having her wear it more. It is a sleeveless jumper too so that when it cools down in the fall, she can put a long-sleeve shirt underneath.
It's much simpler than others (here and here) I have done...no ruffles, no petticoats, etc. But I still think it is cute. The bottom has a border of this colorful floral. I used a variation of this type print (only a smaller floral) as the bodice lining.
Sadly I could not find my wing-needle yesterday so that I could do a prettier edging on the collar. I can do a nice entredeux stitch to give a collar a great vintage look. This is one of my favorite needles, and I am distraught over misplacing it. Instead, I just did a double row of top-stitching with a narrow twin-needle. BTW, the collar is scalloped (the curvyness is not by error!).
Here you can see what I added to the bodice...a few pleats, a little decorative scallop stitches some ivory eyelet leftover from another pfoject, and 4 sweet ladybug buttons.


8 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

How cute - you really are the supermom!

I am hoping to applique some stuff onto onesies...

The Calico Cat said...

How cute - you really are the supermom!

I am hoping to applique some stuff onto onesies...

Sherry said...

That dress is adorable!

Colene said...

So so pretty!

Ms. Jan said...

Sweet, sweet dress! It reminds me of the dresses I made for my sweet daughter, now 30 years old. Don't blink, Margaret--it goes so very fast.
xo

Paula, the quilter said...

I sewed items for my son: tshirts, jammies and the like all the while secretly wanting to do this type of sewing with the touches of whimsy and heirloom. I can only hope to do it for a grand-daughter one day.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Oh that's such a sweet summer dress. I'm sure that your daughter's going to love it. :-)

Cheryl M. said...

Love the dress, cute button to make it perfect.
Cheryl