Friday, November 07, 2008

So Many Questions

To quilt or not to quilt?

To border or not to border?

AAHHH...! My head's gonna pop soon :-)

This is borderline too big for what I like to quilt on my machine. But I have wanted to try the quilting in sections method so that I might be able to quilt the top I am assembling for my daughter (twin bed size) - just to see if it's feasible. I know that I can hide the seams with this piece, as it is quite busy. I want to do feathers down the diagonals. My local machine quilter wants me to pay dearly for her to do the feathers (only because she'd rather do the more simple all-over pantographs).
center medallion. Not sure if I love this, but it's done.
So, I added the last 4 squares. Finished them up while my kids were not yet awake this morning. Need to assemble the blocks and then... A border? I only want to add about 3-4" per side at most. Any ideas on what to do? I'm kind of devoid of good suggestions. I have been hoarding my better blue fabrics for another big project for next year so I hate to use any of them for a boring 4" border (takes a good half yard to do). I do have some of the sunflower fabric I could use. What would you do??? or am I just being anal worrying about this?
And one totally unrelated subject, but I am looking for feedback. My digital camera is taking less and less great pictures. I have an Olympus C-700 with a great 10x optical zoom. When we got it 7 years ago, I LOVED it. The pictures were crisp. Now I feel like more and more I am having to rationalize why they are either bad light or grainy. I think I am in the market for a new camera. My only requirement is that the optical zoom be equal to the Olympus. Does anyone have good camera suggestions? I am in the $500 maximum mindset. I'd love to hear from you if you have a camera that you think is awesome.
have a great weekend
:-)

4 comments:

Camilla said...

The Olympus SP-570UZ is about the modern equivalent of what you have; I have one and I like it, but I don't love it.

I'm not a fan of the layout of Olympus menus (across three different Olympus cameras, they've never made much sense), I find the digital viewfinder on the 570 a little disorienting, and I don't like the trade-offs made to get that much zoom in a small camera.

Basically, 10x zoom is a tough requirement for a small camera. The cameras I've liked better all have less zoom, and are capable of wider apertures.

jovaliquilts said...

I have had 2 Canon cameras and loved them both. It would probably be worth googling for reviews of various cameras. We learned a lot that way.

Sorry, I'm no help on the quilting -- just really getting into that myself, and I've never done it in sections.

Anonymous said...

It looks great, I think a dark blue border would be nice (maybe a trip to the fabric store is needed!)

floribunda said...

one of my quilting group just bought a Canon that had 10x zoom -- the only thing I didn't like was there was no viewfinder -- just the screen on the back. She's happy with it, though!