Wednesday, April 01, 2009

My 4SQS5 Monochromatic Quilt

I have been waiting to show pictures of this table runner I made my partner for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap Mono-5 for ages. I mailed it 3+ weeks ago and am presently in a panic since it has not yet arrived. My partner is on vacation until the end of next week so I have decided to share the pictures (and everyone cross their fingers it arrives before then!).

This is the back...I actually already showed this picture as a teaser a week or two ago, but I just LOVE that Alexander Henry black & white print. When my partner said she wanted black as her color, I was taken a back because I was not sure what season I could portray in black, and I was already committed to this particular partner. As hostess, I have the luxury of selecting my own partner. I chose winter and I chose green as my accent color. Despite a great number of swappers actually interpreting the directions of the monochromatic swap wrong and using more than one color, the intention was to use one color family and a black OR white accent unless your selected color was black, then you could use a different accent color.
Here is the front. I made the feathered star in December 07. It's about 14" square, so those little triangles are VERY tiny (and it is not paper pieced either). I used a swirling batik around the star/snowflake because it reminded me of a winter storm at night. The other fabrics in the background of the runner and the star are grey and black Fairy Frosts - so lucious. I LOVE how they shimmer.
I needle-turn appliqued whimsical green trees around the edges of the runner. It was fun designing these, and using all different green fabrics for them. The tree trunks are in striped and polka-dots - a little more whimsy. The snow at the bottom of the trees has a shimmer in the fabric - not a Fairy Frost, but slightly sparkly and snowlike.
Here's some closer shots of the trees and the machine quilting. I was a bit nervous quilting this one, as my partner is an accomplished quilter. I think it came out pretty good though. It was hard to send away. I have had many comments about the nice binding. It's just a bias-cut binding, which I agree, went on flawlessly.
Now, just cross your fingers that this makes it across the ocean to it's destination soon. I am out of Fairy Frost. I am out of time. And I tossed this pattern!!

7 comments:

Endy said...

Complimenti, hai lavori bellissimi!

Emma said...

Fabulous - of course! This has to be one of my favourites. Stunning!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

This is gorgeous Margaret! I'm sure that your partner will love this runner a lot. I especially like how you chose that great b/w print for the back so that it could be reversible and used more than just the holiday season. Perfect!! (Don't you just love fairy frosts? They're a great accent fabric. Plus I made my friend's little girl a dress out of the pale pink version a couple years ago.)

Vicki W said...

Very pretty!

Lady Beekeeper said...

Spectacular! I really like it.

Lily Mulholland said...

Great job Margaret. Let's hope it arrives at its new home soon!

Anonymous said...

OMG, so bad this one disappeared, it is a true beauty