This quilt has 6 pannels that are like this. Here's another look at the blocks in progress, and a peek at the initial plan for the quilt. Each block has four photos printed on fabric of my kids. I know that these are not the best quality, and have since learned of another product that is better to use, but I was not changing anything once it was together.
The quilting was moderately challenging for me because my machine has a TINY throat/neck and it's a real pain to cram it into it in order to quilt the center of the quilt (now we all understand just WHY I really want that long arm...). This quilt is on the order of 52" x 75". It is quilted mostly in red thread (despite the fabrics being largely white) because I wanted the quilting to blend on the backside, which is solid red. I didn't want to have any areas where poorer tension might show if I used a top thread that was white. I am pleased with the red thread decision. It actually looks pretty good.
In the red areas, I free quilted feathers. They are far from perfect, but nice, and better than more stippling. What I really love is how I quilted the black 9-patches around the photos. I consternated over what to do for 2 weeks, and ended up doing more free feathers in the black squares, and nothing on the photos (which unless up close just appear soft gray).