Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Tuesdays are Just For Me

My fun is over, at least for a little while. I got a lot done on both of these recently. My daughter did a sleepover at my mom's last weekend. Unfortunately I had to accompany her because she was too scared to go alone. Imagine that! So I was delighted to an afternoon of hand stitching. I also had some additional time during the day while my class took a test last week to sew on leaves. I have one leaf to add, nearly 75 more grapes (sigh!) to make/add. Then some of the other shape leaves and some embroidery... and the list goes on. Oh, did I mention some butterflies and dragonflies and a center something?? But I am starting to see the design I envision here, and am already thinking about how I might quilt it.
I played hokey from other committments from Friday until now (with the exception of yesterday, because our power was out from a hard storm!!). In that amount of time, about 7 hours I'd guess, I pieced the outermost border. It was easy to piece, but it was a bit finicky to adjust to get exactly the right lengths. This is a busy little quilt, if I do say so myself. I suspect that the last 7.5" of border will definitely calm and ground it a bit, as it is much simpler and has much black fabric. I seriously have no idea how this will be quilted! There are so many areas of very small pieces (yea, lots of those "What was I thinking?" moments). I am contemplating a small rope border somewhere. Have any of you longarmers used the rope templates?? Are they easy to use? In the meantime, I need to get some thread on order for both of these quilts so it is here for when I plan to quilt these in Jan-Feb. There's definitely a lot of colors to choose from! I also need to get some backing fabric ordered. I am waffling between a solid color and doing something more artistic with minimal piecing (just fearing that I won't be able to center it perfectly though!).
Now, I have a lap quilt, and then a monster king quilt to do before I can get back to this quilt's last border.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Your daughter is too sweet! Gorgeous, just gorgeous quilts! You got a lot done. Can't wait to see the quilting!

Vicki W said...

I just love that mosaic quilt! Both of them are going to be spectacular. Centering a quilt on a backing is really easy. I have a tutorial somewhere. Let me know if you need it and I'll dig it up.

Yvette said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Ivory Spring said...

You get so much done, Margaret. Do you ever sleep?