Last week, I finished up a monster 112" Civil War Chronicles quilt. I quilted one of these 18 months ago, and this client wanted this one done basically the same. I tried hard to convince her that I really think that a nice Baptist fan pattern all over would look very appropriate and effective, but she didn't want an edge-to-edge. While I kept much of the design like the previous quilt, I did make some slight modifications when I felt that they were warranted.
The quilt is made up of many 12" blocks -- 28 I think plus a center, and 16 more smaller blocks. Custom quilting every one of the 12" blocks was beyond the budget of either quilter, so a loose feathered pattern was done instead. I can quilt this like it is an E2E pattern, thus saving time and cost.
This quilt has a QD wool batting. This is great batting, and gives the details a better poof than cotton. I used a single color taupe/tan Superior Omni thread on the entire quilt. Except on the darker fabrics, it barely shows over the prints. Omni is a 40wt polyester, but it has a dull finish similar to cotton thread. I felt this was a good choice because traditionally this quilt would have been stitched in cotton anyways.
This past weekend I went to the Images 2013 Lowell Quilt Festival in Lowell, MA. My Zen Garden quilt took the top Best of Show award. It is a very nice relatively local show, and the town of Lowell does a fantastic job of getting into the show, with a shuttle bus taking you to several other venues having smaller quilt displays. I hope to post some highlights of this next time.