I recently quilted a couple of machine embroidered-applique quilts. This first one is a small wall-hanging, about 36" square (yea, I cut off the side borders in the picture). It has wool batting, and mostly Invisifil thread. I toyed with using a gold Glide, but waffled on that decision the day I loaded the quilt. I think that was my personal choice over-riding the preference of the client, who favors thinner, non-showing threads. The Invisifil sinks into the top, becoming mostly invisible, but for this type of quilt, which has a thick tear-away stabilizer near the appliques, the thinner, less robust thread proved to be a complete pain in the neck. It broke about a zillion times on me to the tune of stop, knot, bury, rethread, repeat... Live and learn!
I spent something like 5-6 hours ditch quilting this beast with clear Monolon thread. The appliques are enough apart that there's a TON of stop and start on the ditching. It does make all the difference, though, by defining the applique edge. This quilt also has a wool batting, but the loft is sort of lost because the entire top has a layer of a fusible interfacing. I realize the purpose of the interfacing, but it really makes a stiffer top that just does not show the relief of the quilting as well.