I have loaded up my applique quilt for a few days of quilting. Like all my own projects, it will get a few days in order to get it stabilized, and then I will have to move it off in order to get some other quilts finished. All but one of my Christmas commitments are done, unless you count the quilts I say I will make every year as gifts and never actually get to. Maybe next year.
Now, as I post these, you get to listen to me rant for a couple minutes. I have discovered photos of one of my not-yet-finished show quilts out there on Pinterest -- pictures that were posted here on my blog with a large warning/request to NOT POST to PINTEREST. I was pretty ticked to see those there, because this is an original design and the quilt has yet to go to it's first show. So I will say this here once again...
PLEASE DO NOT POST TO PINTEREST. These pictures are not your property, and only I have the right to say that it is or is not OK to post them. I will report you this time if I find them posted. Promise.
Alright, with the ugliness out there, let's get on to the good stuff. It would appear that the last time I showed a progress shot of this quilt was here, and it was not yet finished. You get the idea though. The other two sides just needed their applique. Fast forward 6 months, the top was finished, and one quilter had a crazy hair to try to finish it before a February 1 deadline in order to get it entered into a show. Time will tell if that is even possible. Said quilter has a full January lineup of client customs, so this holiday time is my window of opportunity. Yikes.
I have made it to the center Dahlia. That should in no way imply that I am halfway (ha!). There are sections to rip out and redo. Yea, I do sadly change my mind after the fact all too often. But, having the design defined is a large part of the process, and I have large chunks of this one in my head or on paper. Because there are pretty silk ribbons that go around the outer border of floral applique, I have chosen to quilt them into the center background around the dahlia too.
Yesterday, I started to quilt the dahlia too. It has a bit to go still, but is coming. Unfortunately, the dense fill that I chose to place in 3 of the triangles around the dahlia is coming out. I'll do that off-frame. It could take a while. I don't like it and need an alternative. The remainder of the dahlia will get quilting that is more floral - petals to be exact. I love to intermix different textures, but it is a big flower and should read as a flower. Afterall, this quilt is little more than a big flower garden.
Have a Happy Turkey day. ...and please do not post these pictures anywhere. thanks