Thursday, July 17, 2014

Going to Houston!!

Official word came in today that two of my 2014 quilts were accepted into this year's IQA show this fall!! I'm always surprised, because this is Houston.  Nobody really knows what will happen at Houston.  Last year's quilt got in to my delight and then received the harshest scrutiny of it's short life (despite having enormous winnings at all other shows).  So, I entered these two rather half-heartedly, still feeling somewhat jaded from last year's experience.

 "Springtime in the Geisha's Garden" is one of my very favorite quilts.  It holds special memories because I bought many of the fabrics on my first trip to Paducah.  It is largely made by hand, and quilted beautifully.  But then, so are most of the quilts that get into Houston.  This one is in the mixed category -- it will be up against others that are pieced and appliqued and/or painted AND quilted to the hilt.

My other quilt "Autumn's Surrender" is simpler at first blush, but hopefully that will not be it's downfall.  It is silk, and is quilted with everything out there to see -- even from the plain, solid backside I gave it.  It is beautiful too, in a different way.  It is in the Merit Machine Quilting category, as this quilt is all about the quilting.  Hope this was a good decision!  This coming week, it is in Pennsylvania at the Quilt Odyssey show.

I don't know yet if I will make the trip to Houston.  I really want to, probably more than last year.  The dang hotels are SO expensive, to the tune of $250-300 per night.  The likelihood that I'd win anything to cover the trip is slim.  I have even another quilt that I quilted that is part of an exhibit of the show -- one of the late Frances Benton's applique quilts, an exhibit I'd love to get to see.  So, I need to figure things out and make a decision pretty soon.  Airfares only go up and hotels do sell out.  If I wait until the week of September 9th, when judging results are announced, there may not be much available.  Hard choices!  Good news anyhow.

12 comments:

Helen said...

These are both awesome quilts. You inspire me with the quality of your work. Thank you for sharing. All the best for a prize(s)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.....and well deserved! I have not figured out the criteria for their admissions but know that quilting.....love it or hate it......is so subjective and there's no arguing with that!!!! Your art is truly and inspiration to me!!!!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Congratulations! Well deserved, they are both stunning! I particularly like the medallion center of the first one, it's so eye catching.

Susan Lawson said...

congratulations and good luck! :)

Mary said...

congratulations, and I'd be surprised if they didn't end up with ribbons! This is my first time seeing autumn splendor, it is spectacular!!!!

Millie and Walter said...

You do amazing work. Good luck in Houston.

Cindy

Angie in SoCal said...

Studying the photos I can easily see how fabulous your quilts are! Well deserved congratulations!

Martha said...

Congratulations!!!! Your work is so amazing and deserves to go to Houston. The best of luck to you!!!

Michele said...

Congrats on them being accepted. I hope to see that show at some point myself.

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

My first thought was, "Of course they got in!" But you're right, never can tell about these things. I think they're absolutely fabulous!

Sue P. said...

I was at Quilt Odyssey yesterday and was admiring your quilts. Sure wish I could have met you. Your work is so much fun to look at. Good luck in Houston!

Soapstone Quilts said...

congratulations & best of luck! They are both beautiful.