Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Late Fall CatchUp

Time flies, so they say, whey you are busy doing other things. Or when other things manage to consume your usual overflowing energy. I was looking back over some photos and realized that I have several quilts not blogged about.

This is called The Blue Collection by Maggie Walker. I have quilted at least 2 of these previously, and this one was just as pretty, and just as beautifully made.
It takes what feels like that proverbial lifetime to outline quilt all of the appliques and frames/borders, then the the fun quilting can begin. If you are thinking that the appliques look extra poofy, it is because this is double batted with Hobbs 80/20 and wool. It is a great combination for the applique quilts or for any show quilt.
 The background quilting is not the star of the quilt, but I still want it to look attractive. It needs to be dense so that the appliques pop.
There is also detail quilting added to most of the vases, as they are large appliques -- too large to just leave unquilted. It would not wear well with time to not quilt on them. Plus, it provides a place to further define the shape or style of the vase.


Here's a cute wallhanging. It's bright and colorful, and somewhat modern. For some reason, the modern quilts just paralyze my natural creative tendencies. It sat on my machine for several days. I almost removed it because I just couldn't agree with my head on what to do.
 Then I went into the studio, and just said "Go with your first instinct". It is rarely all that wrong. And this is what I did. Mostly I just wanted some texture. Lots of texture.
 The quilting on the feathers is done in a bold black thread. It unifies all of the feathers together.
 Here is a peek at the backside.
 My last quilt to share is the final one sent to me by Erin. Remember a purple Nearly Insane from 1-2 months ago?...this is her handiwork. She does beautiful piecing. This one I saved for last because I knew it had that massive blank space in the center. That takes both courage and planning...LOL!
 It turned out beautifully with a combination of crosshatching, feathers and linework.
 The one thing I will say is that I quilted this (the white parts) with an Omni thread. I chose this because it is rather traditional, and this thread more resembles a cotton than most I use. NEVER again, though!! It drove me nuts with lint and linty clumps. It works fine for an edge to edge, but this level of custom took nearly a dozen bobbins.

 It's hard to tell but this is a log cabin quilt, with a medallion center.
 Quilts like this that quilt down the diagonal really take a LOT of hours. There is a TON of rolling the quilt back and forth and stop and start. Beginners likely don't realize how much time that can consume.
 The swirly fill was chosen because these red fabrics were fairly printed AND because the seams were all pressed out, not leaving a ditch. Had the piecing have pressed to the side, I'd have done a template based line pattern there instead.
 Oh, so pretty...Hopefully I can see this one bound and laying pretty on a bed.

 And one last backside for the road...
See you next time I have pretties to share.

3 comments:

Susie Q said...

WOW ..... the quilting on all the quilts is so special.... thanks for showing us.

Barb N said...

Always such excellent work you do! I love when you said that expansive center takes courage and planning. So true! I'm glad I'm not the only one who steps into projects with a bit of fear and trepidation. You tackle it well!

Farm Quilter said...

Oh. My. Goodness!! You certainly had gorgeous pictures to show!!! Simply amazing!! Piecers don't realize that how they press their seams will impact how their quilt can be quilted. Of course, swirls are a wonderful, fast quilting pattern that does give nice texture. You elevated the beauty of all of these quilts!!!