Friday, May 09, 2008

The Frog is Finished


(this is actually rotated 90 degrees... the red flying geese are in the lower left-hand corner)

My frog in the blender is finished mixing. Done sewing. Completed quilting. Against my better judgement I followed what the readers told me. Keep the name! So, it is official and the label on the back of the quilt has the "Frog in the Blender" name. I hope the recipient has a sense of humor. I am a little worried...
I may add a few beads for embellishment, but the quilt is basically done to send to my ALQS partner. It will probably not be mailed for a few weeks since it's not due until July 1 (let's build some anticipation - and see if the recipient can guess if it is for her ...or him!).


I opted to heavily machine quilt this piece. I have only machine quilted 3 others so I am still something of a neophyte, but I chose my thread color and fabric carefully so that machine quilting flaws are hard to see. There's meandering free-motion quilting as well as a lot of outline stitching using my walking foot. I meandered heavily so as to make the red areas in the pieced sections poof up a bit.

I love the variety of food fabrics - kiwis, apples and watermellons, plus many bits of red and blacks from my stash. The bacl of the quilt is plain black. I should have photographed it since the quilting is more evident on the back. Maybe the recipient can show this picture.
If you ignore the fact that two of my circular pieces do not match up perfectly, which I am trying to do, I think the quilt is pretty neat. It's out of my normal box a little (OK, a lot), but it's a fun melding of traditional piecing with untraditional fabrics and a touch of more contemporary layout.

Do you think that my partner will appreciate this, or will she want to put this in the blender?


12 comments:

Hedgehog said...

All I can say is that if I am the recipient, I love the title and the whole piece - it's really incredible!!

jovaliquilts said...

Phooey, I'm not in that swap! But if the recipient doesn't totally love it, just give her my address! It's really neat. :)

Kate North said...

Your partner will love it (I should know). I'm not saying who (s)he is, but with my special inside knowledge, I can assure you, it will be well-received :)

sophie said...

WOW. It's fantastic.

Unknown said...

I'm new to this swap, so didn't know what to expect. WOW am I glad I joined in if this is the kind of great work you all do.
I feel very inadequate, also, and will really have to work hard on my idea to match this quality.
And I love the name-perfect!

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful and I love it and the name! Melinda

Ozjane said...

she will appreciate it as you always do the work of others.
I love that swathe of flying geese getting smaller and smaller.
Makes me want to sit and make some.
And these little ones are great to make us get braver about our quilting skills. Make sure you take good memory photos......I often wish I had taken more when an item is gone.

Unknown said...

Wow! I love it - hope it's coming to me Margaret.

loulee said...

Great title, it really suits. Great quilt too, so busy and exciting. I wonder if you're my partner?

domoshar said...

I wish I was participating in this swap!
Brilliant!

... and I would provide a second alternative mailing address for this quilt just in case :) /the original recipient does not love it and jovaliquilts' address is lost /...

Helen said...

Ohhhhh, definately not in the blender! This is just lovely, who could not love it?

Rose Marie said...

It's stunning and whoever receives this piece will surely love it!