A couple weeks ago, I won a 12" square giveaway that Kate was hosting. She had received the blocks in a swap, and decided not to do anything with them. I got 25 in all, but since one was actually stiched with an error, I opted to use just 24, and make 2 smaller quilt tops for Project Linus. Though not entirely obvious from the photo, they are done from batiks. I separated them into 12 that looked more feminine (ie, pinks & yellows), and 12 that better suit a boy. Girly ones were sashed with a bold purple print, and the boy with a blue. I will also bind the quilts with these fabrics. I am undecided on an outer border. The quilts are currently 40" x 54", which is a good size for a child, and works for me since my roll of batting is 45" wide! Thanks Kate!!
Here's another set of blocks I got in a swap. This is all but 2 of the 8" New York Beauty blocks I got from the birthday block swap. I have all but given up hope on getting the other two (which the quilt top is obviously missing!!). It's too bad when swappers don't live up to their end of an obligation, especially after receiving one's own month of blocks. These blocks run the complete gamut. Some need a little repairing - some stitches came lose in transit. One had to have some picking out because I thought that it ought to have a few points showing. And one I am not yet sure what to do with, as there is a huge (over 0.5") chunk missing because it somehow came out out of square.
The color combination is very hot. I like that. I can not say I totally enjoyed making the 2 of these that I did, or that I look forward to the prospect of making 2 more! But it's interesting...Maybe I will ditch my 2 least favorite and make the quilt smaller :-) As for the arrangement, I have no idea how I will place them. Despite the seemingly critial critique here, the gals that made the blocks did a fantastic job. Thank you- Kate, Helen, Amy, Terri, Julie, Michele, and Anne (and 2 more who's names are just escaping me tonight).
Market Recap - Part 2
3 hours ago