Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Attention span of a Flea

Yes, that is me. Without a doubt, I have the attention span of a flea. In the last 2 days I have finished 1 quilt, nearly finished another (all but the binding). These are my feeble attempts to clear the pile of unquilted flimsies I have before cutting into some fabric that I really want to sew with. So, what have I really done??? Increased that flimsy pile!! Yesterday I discovered some bold fish & dolphin novelty fabric that I made into another flimsy (rationale is that I wanted it out of my sewing stash). It's terribly cute and if it weren't downstairs, I'd show a photo of it. This morning I discovered this fun indiginous fabric that Bernadette sent me last fall with a swap quilt. It is Australian animals. The boxes are about 4" square, and unfortunately are not exactly all the same or all square in their printing. This is why some of my boxes may look a tad wonky.
Here's a closeup of a few of the animals...









They are kind of fun, and definitely different. The colors did not translate well - the greens are rich and deep in color, not as grayish as the pictures indicate. I am auditioning various brick red prints for a 2" outer border. When the blocks are sewn together I will take it outside to photograph (atop a 3' pile of snow likely)
Perhaps if this flea does not get smashed, she will make another attempt tomorrow at cutting red and orange material :-)

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I think I have that panel. The "odd" printing is a great excuse to do some wonky piecing... Exaggerate the "off-ness."

Mam said...

Even if the colours did not translate that is a very pretty quilt. It also gives me an idea for a fabric I've had for ages and couldn't design how to incorporate it into a quilt. Thanks for the idea!