Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Out of My "Box"

Just as Kate was busy using up her strips of scraps (mind you, she was making 12" blocks for me with them!), so was I. My scrap box is not so organized though, as mine are all different widths. I tapped into the greens, reds, whites and blacks, making 16 scrappy log-cabin blocks that are 8.5" square. On Monday, I decided I needed 4 more blocks, and that is when I made up the "LOVE" letters. I ought to applique a red heart onto it somewhere too.
Now I am definitely NOT a fan of the improvisational quilting...never will I succumb to the wonky houses or free-form letters. They are sloppy and just as tedious as making them neatly. But, there is something fun and youthful about the colorful log blocks. And I find the black, red, white and green combination pleasing and happy.
Pictures done in my sewing hole/basement still lack sufficient lighting to be really clear, but here you can see the colors somewhat.

In a perfect world (AKA "if I didn't have to go buy it at a fabric store!"), I would have liked to sash these blocks with black, but I think that is OK. I will finish this off in the coming weeks as yet another Linus donation.

No comments: