Monday, August 12, 2019

Summer 2019

I knew I had procrastinated writing a post, but when I realized the last one was June, I will admit being surprised. Summer has been going ok, but I have failed to show much of anything. I will say that this summer has had much less quilted work than past summers. I have nobody but myself to blame for that. The kids have been around, and it has been harder to just sequester myself downstairs and work. I have also had more custom work, which takes longer and more concentration, etc. Somehow it just seemed easier to wait on it until September.

That said, some quilting has been done. This is for a MA client. She made this for her husband. The center square is her design and is embroidered.
 The quilting is in a fine gray thread and just echoes the stitching.
 Because it is intended for a man, I kept the quilting more linear and masculine. Except for the center, it is quilted in burgundy thread. This is one way to keep costs down -- less thread changes.
The next quilt is a wall hanging. Erin is a client that I have quilted extensively for over the years. She sent 4 quilts, two of which are done. The next two are huge and very detailed (2 week jobs). This one was a fun piece to quilt.
 It is quilted in coordinating 40wt threads. I also double batted it since I knew the quilting would be dense. The applique is beautifully stitched by hand.
 Some stripes for the border, and a double ribbon candy to resemble a ribbon.

 Neutral backing fabric makes for a gorgeous back!
 This is Erin's other quilt. It's to hang in her daughter's room. The piece is in the vicinity of 35x45".
This is also double batted.
 I love this paisley pattern in the narrow border. I have been meaning to do a tutorial on it, and it's variations. It's freehand and so easy to quilt (no markings!).
 Such pretty applique...
 Her daughter's name and birth date are quilted in rose thread at the bottom. I go over the lettering 3 times to make it pronounced. These will be heading home soon.
 And, another neutral back with loads of texture!
I quilted this top last week. It's 70x80 or so with 30 of these embroidery blocks. This is the most intricately and beautifully stitched embroidery I have ever seen. She had to have taken forever doing it.
 And, after quilting...
 The quilt has a single wool batting, and pretty traditional quilting. Each plain square has a free-hand quilted feathered wreath. Quilting around the wreaths is in a soft green thread. Though the photos dont show it well, these squares are a pale green Grunge fabric.
 The rest of the quiting on non-embroidered blocks is white Glide. The embroidered blocks are done in a basic 1" crosshatch using clear nylon thread. You just cannot avoid the embroidery; it will make the blocks look odd. I have done many of these over the years, and quilting right over it works the best way.

 And, you guessed it...another pretty back!
 Here's a loon at the embroidery on one of the blocks.
So, I managed to quilt 4 quilts between late June and mid August, so what else did I do this summer?...

You mean, besides putter away my time in my garden or shuttling kids to and fro?

Well, my middle kiddo learned to sew. He made 4 quilt tops to be donated to Project Linus. I cut all hiss squares from my scraps and "encouraged"...He has to have 20 volunteer hours as graduation requirements. He'll be halfway there by Sept. 
 Here's one arranged on the floor...
Four were quilted. I did this part, mostly because it's faster for me to do it. He has no great burning interest in learning to longarm.
 And here they are awaiting a binding fairy...
 In July, I taught at the Quilt Odyssey show in PA. I took my youngest two kids along for the ride. They hung out at the pool, played mini golf, and basically tried to stay out of trouble while I worked. We had a day before the show to go to Hershey Park.

Creating a new quilt has been as slow as digging a tunnel to China. I currently have the units all appliqued to put most of it together. BUT...I decided to add embroidery on the colored border pieces. It's pretty, and ties the units together nicely. Only a slight delay!
 I test dyed some fabrics in hopes of creating the yellow fabric I used. I want this on the other border of this quilt. I know...I have fallen off my rocker because I hate yellow. But...it will work, I have a plan! Now I just need to actually dye the silk yardage and hope it matches the swatch!
 Other summer fun...

He got a perm. Don't ask, I have no answer. He just wanted it.The 1980s have come back.
 It's been warm here and we made several beach days of it. I don't need bribing to go to the beach, ever.
 At the beach, everybody is content, everybody behaves, everybody finds their own fun.
A week ago, I got to relive my 16-yr old's happy place. I have been one of the biggest Queen fans over the years. When I was 16, many of us went to see them - back when Freddie was still alive. My school buddies were all over the warmup act, Billy Squier, but not me...It was all about him...That curly-headed guitarist had me 37 years ago. He's still as phenomenal as ever, and they are lucky to have a great vocalist so we can still experience them live. It was fun!
I am inching towards the finish line on next year's show quilt...It has a name and a few secrets that you will just have to wait to know. But for now...it is off the frame, trimmed and blocking, and binding, painting and embellishments are started.
Now, I am in full force mode of getting ready to go to teach next week at the AQS Grand Rapids show. Hope to see you there!

4 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Fabulous quilts and your quilting just harmonizes with the piecing and applique beautifully. I for one would love to see a tutorial on that little paisley design, especially since it looks like it could be doable on my DSM which is how my machine-quilting gets accomplished. Thanks in advance if you decide to post a tutorial.

Barb N said...

What a true delight to read about what you have been up to this summer. So glad you took time to share. Your show quilt is a stunner already!

Maggie said...

Oh my goodness, Margaret! Your skills are incredible! Thank you so much for sharing them.

maggie

Maggie said...

Oh my goodness, Margaret! Your skills are incredible! Thank you so much for sharing them.

maggie