Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A little of my own sewing

Here's my November batch of blocks for the flickr QBE - Quilt block exchange. There's a pinwheel in pink, white and soft green for Mary. Pink and green block for Wendy. More red and aqua for Jennifer. Black & white is for Alicia - with a hit of color too. And pink and green for Rachel - Sweetteamom. It's always nice to have these done. And next is a showing of the blocks I have received over the last 2 months. I asked for 12-1/2" pink and orange. I totally love how they all go together. Hopefully in the coming months I will find time to get these quilted.
I took a day last week before my flood of quilts arrived to longarm quilt one of my own. It's one of my favorite tops, in some of my favorite fabrics. I held off doing it sooner because I didn't want to mess it up with utter inexperience. Now it is all bound too. It's lots of Kaffe Fasst and Carla Miller prints.
This was my first time using the pantograph patterns. This one is called Splash, from Willowcreek designs. It took about 4 hours to do this measely 60"square quilt! I didn't realize how dense it would be quilted! The quilt back is very textural. I like that.

And here's the whole quilt, but before binding. It's called "Sophie's Garden" - all the flowers just remind me of a summer garden.
And lastly, here is my holiday quilt for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap. My partner does not celebrate Christmas. I selected her specifically so I didn't have to sew something red & green. I loved the challenge of designing this. I used EQ6 to design the top, so that it had the candleabra and the snowflake. The snowflake and dreidle's, which are appliqued on, are in shimmery Fairy Frosts.
I had to do a little research on the internet to figure out what Hebrew letters to put on the dreidles. It has reached my partner, but I don't know what she thinks yet. I spent a long time designing and paper-piecing (which is NOT my favorite thing) this. I just hope she likes it.








3 comments:

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

The pantograph quilting is gorgeous! Looks like you're taking to the long-arm beautifully. And gorgeous 4Seasons quilt!

jovaliquilts said...

I love your Hanukkah design! Using the snowflake in the 6-pointed star was truly inspired. Your partner will absolutely love it!

The Calico Cat said...

I like the Hanukkah quilt. Does your partner have a blog?