Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday's Fun

So aside from still battling a sinus infection (yes, I will give in and go visit my doc today), I am also celebrating a birthday. Joy! Woo-hoo...Somehow when those birthdays are no longer in the 30's they are not as much fun. Being under the weather, too, makes me feel so much older. And grumpier.

So I decided that I'd do a little shopping to celebrate. I'm not really sure what I will make, but I have a few yards of Tree-Top Fancy and a few coordinating other odds-n-ends coming to me.

I have been trying to work through some other odds-n-ends of fabric that I bought last year. I had gotten some 10" Kaffe Fassett squares last year, thinking I'd know just what to do with them. I was wrong. First I didn't want to hack them up. Then I just didn't want a quilt of 10" squares. Now, I just don't want a pack of squares laying around. So I strip cut about 2/3 of the squares and made these. I saw this quilt and loved it. Mine is not quite the same, but I still like it's busyness and color. Pardon the blurry-dim lighting; it's in the basement still.
I also endeavored to clean out my stash some this week. I have pulled all purples, blues and greens that I can only envision using for a donation quilt. Many of these are either under a quarter yard or were donated to me, or acquired somehow. Many are also something I don't love, but could use creatively to make something for others. I carefully did not label them as "Ugly", but some are not lovely :-) I estimate (by weight) that there are about 1100 4-1/2" squares, or about 15 yards of fabric. I still need to conquer the red, orange and yellow bins...phew~!
Here's my attempt at a watermellon. It's about 18" across, and is a simple table topper for a special person. I opted to not do the ants or black beads, so maybe it's not really like a watermellon.

The back is just Kona in red, and really shows off the feathered quilting (actually done all in 1 thread too!).
...and a closeup...


9 comments:

zarina said...

The quilting of the watermelon quilt is gorgeous.

jovaliquilts said...

Your Kaffe Fasset quilt is really lovely! And how nice to have that instead of a pile of squares, eh?

Helen said...

Happy Birthday Margaret!!! It is mine on the 23rd, tomorrow? Today? How does this time difference work??! LOL Like you it's in the 30's, the higher end of the scale and a bit ho hum....

Have a great day though!

~Michelle~ said...

Happy Birthday!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you feel better soon. I really need to get to work cutting up scraps too! Your watermelon is cute~ lovely quilting!

The Calico Cat said...

Love your seedless watermellon!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love what you did with your Kaffe squares - so much more interesting than just leaving the whole square.
Happy Birthday!

Lily Mulholland said...

Happy birthday! I hope the retail therapy ungrumped you :)

Bettie from Southern Thresholds said...

Wow - I feel special just being able to view such a beautiful collection of quilts and talent. I have been quilting only a year and I don't see myself branching out to make a big quilt as I see on so many blogs. I envy quilters so much, but resign myself to only baby quilts, table toppers and wall hangings. I love your watermelon design. Charming