Thursday, May 28, 2009

Birthday Fabrics and a Linus Completion

I quilted the "Sherbet" quilt last weekend. It's just a simple and fairly mid-sized meander. Initially I was not sure I had something for the backing, but then I found a few yards of this wild Henry Glass dot fabric. Here's the whole top...
It washed up nicely (and didn't turn the rest of the wash pink - always a good thing!). Here is another look at it folded up. That's a coming post behind it - in very similar and coordinating bold orange-red colors! Michelle donated these fabrics and it feels SO good to have the quilt finished. Many thanks!
Last week's retail therapy....Ahh... On Friday morning(which was my birthday), I went online to equilter.com and made a little order for myself. I rationalized that it was a present that I was certain to love. At about 2:30pm, later that same day, the postman arrived with a package, and the return address was none other than ...equilter.com! I did a double take. And it was addressed to of all people, my husband. I'm at first puzzled, and then it all makes sense. My mom had been over on Tuesday and was looking at a quilting mag I had. When she left, it was open to a quilt we liked, and on the opposite page was an advertisement for www.equilter.com! This magazine stayed out on the coffee table for a couple days before I cleaned up and put it away. I think my hubby must have seen it in his desperation to find me a present I'd like. Here's what he picked out. It's 25 fat quarters of hand-dyes (basic batiks). I don't think he really knew what to look for, or knew how adventurous my taste may be. Oh, I love the more printed Bali's A LOT! This is nice, and I am already planning, of all things, a quilt done with maybe multi-colored New York Beauty blocks. Maybe a larger project?...Maybe something to show at the Maine Quilt Show next year?... Time will tell.

And here's the stack of therapy I picked out for myself. I added the black & white batiks on Tuesday after I saw what he got me. These are mostly from the Tree Top Fancy line. I was trying to get more of the pink birds, which I already had. It's hard to find though so I settled for some others. I'm not sure where these are going towards, but definitely a few pillows for Sophie's room and perhaps one for part of a twirly skirt for her. Otherwise, it's nice to have a few more modern options with which to sew.

My sincere thanks to Tami for sending me this. Her craftiness is just lovely.
Also, last week Anna sent me some Noah's Ark fabrics to use in Linus projects. It was incredibly generous and I am greatful. Thanks!
I have a few great things to show in the next week. I am awaiting an order of 6 spools of King Tut thread in order to finish one of them (more "retail therapy"). I have done something awesome and HOT with these blocks...

4 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

Perfect - that backing was just the thing! I'm so happy my fabrics found such a good home, and with someone who used them to their full potential! :)

jovaliquilts said...

Really like that Linus finish -- stretched stars are a favorite!

The Calico Cat said...

That first quilt is SOOOOOOO pretty!

Lily Mulholland said...

Well done on your Linus finish and um ah there's some NICE new fabric there to fondle!