Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Christmas Quilt

I know I promised a look at a cute Christmas quilt, and I know that I am a day late. Shucks!...I got too busy the last 2 days to post this. I just visited her blog, so I know she has it, and hopefully has it bound by now and is snuggling beneath it. It was SO adorable, made from more Christmas prints than I have ever seen, let alone had my hands on. I'd have to collect for years to have that many.
It naturally makes me nervous doing a white quilt. Everything shows - the dirt, the blood(DOH!) and of course the mis-stitchings which we all make. I knewI had to be careful. I also knew that I wanted her scrappy fabrics to be the focus, so I luckily convinced her early on that a white thread would be so much more effective than any other colors. She fortunately agreed with me there. The pattern was a blast to quilt. I marked a number of items in eraseable pen before quilting - there were bows, presents, little trees, pointsettias, holly leaves and small strings of lights (unless I forgot any). And then I connected these holiday motifs with a loopy quilting.
To my delight, it all worked very effortlessly. I placed most of these in the white so that they show. I love the effect ot the little strings of lights - a motif that I initially thought would be trickier than it really was.

Dontcha just love the Cookie Monster??!

It is SO cheery and happy. It was a very fun afternoon of sewing.

And every one of her trees was done with a star on top, and a quilted garland through it. I wish that the pictures could show the fun whimsical quilting. It's a quilt I'd love to make someday. Thanks, Beth, this was a fun job...Much more fun than the one I am quilting right now. So, stay tuned for the LA Chronicles for more on my quilting adventures!
Hope you had a great holiday. Later this week I will show my Christmas present...intended to assist me with designing quilting designs.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like the Christmas blocks on the white background. They really pop! Merry Christmas!
Beth

Kathy said...

What a fine quilt! Your idea about quilting in the holiday motifs connected by the meandering loops seams perfect against the white sashing. The quilting shows so well!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

What a wonderful quilt. I think the quilting shows very well and I love how you did it.

Trudi said...

What a Happy quilt! Great Job, I love the stars and garlands on the trees too!

Urban Crunch said...

I love, love, love your quilting! The string of lights is my favorite.
Jaclyn

Anonymous said...

I'm in your Fresh Comfort Bee and a longarm quilter too. I must agree with your recommendation of the white thread.....I try to follow this simple rule....thread color should usually match the sashing. It can sometimes be difficult to persuade customers of this. We look at quilts so much differently than they do.
Love the stars on top of the trees.....your work is grand!
Cheers!

Erika Mulvenna said...

I love your quilt! Great blocks, and I love all the colors against the white.

Have you checked out www.WeAllQuilt.com yet? It's a new website with tons of free stuff for sewers, including quilting tips and patterns. You might find some inspiration!

calicodaisy said...

The quilting is so darling! Two of those blocks were my contribution! It's fun to see them a part of such a fun quilt. Now I know I have to put all my blocks from that swap together and send them to you to do the same for me! --- michele