Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Doodles and Doodles

Last week I ordered Kim Brunner's Twirly Whirly Feathers DVD and book. I am so desperate to learn to do heirloom feathers, I tell you! This DVD set is really good. It's a splurge of a present for myself for Christmas. I have been doodling feathers everywhere.
And then a few days ago I pulled out some scrap sheet I had and took to the longarm with what I thought I had practiced adequately on paper. In actuality, there is no "adequate" amount of practice time. These are hard, and if the thread is any color besides clear or an exact match to the fabric, then they don't look fantastic. You all know me, I expect immediate results. I hate to practice to achieve perfection!!
I was pretty pleased with how my fabric debut turned out. I started with straight feathers. Then I added a gently curve to the sping. Then I did the more twirling ones, which I discovered right off should be done on no less than 6-7" borders or larger. My 5" border shown above is WAY too narrow. I like my attempts at the circular wreaths and the fillers. I can see using these many places.
Such as here...
Some may call me crazy for quilting something on a quilt that I just learned, but hey, that is me. The border turned out pretty good.
I am planning still what to do on my quilt, which I hope to quilt on in early January. I am still contemplating doing a Quilt Whisperer class offered thru MQResource in January. If I knew I'd gain only the insight to how to quilt this, it would be worth it to me!



8 comments:

Maya Madhavan said...

Those feathers look awesome Margaret! They look perfect in the border.

Trudi said...

They are fab feathers! What are you worrying about, I'm exactly the same, if I can do it on paper, hey, I can do it on fabric! Great job! Merry Christmas and a Happy Quilty New Year!

Kim said...

Great job on the feathers!

Vicki W said...

You won't get good at it without practice and practicing on a sheet is boring! Not every quilt is meant to be an heirloom (most of mine aren't) so I practice all over my real quilts! I think your feathers look awesome!

Emma said...

Fantastic! I admit to being tempted by the Quilt Whisperer class, too!

StitchSister said...

Margaret, your quilting is beautiful! You're going to be a tough act to follow on Fresh Comfort Two! I can't wait to get started with you.
-Linda

Kathy said...

Your feathers are fantastic! I tell you what -- you are a natural born machine quilter! Love it!

M and M plus 3 said...

Beautiful feathers! I've been looking everywhere for a used copy of this book/dvd. I'm in the process of learning to do feathers myself.