Monday, October 13, 2008

My Summer Quilt Flimsy, Completed

I am surprised how long the last 4-1/2" border actually took me. It is heavily pieced with constructed triangular sections. I think I would estimate this border to have taken about 15-20 hours. It seems high and ridiculous, but every time I thought I was going to sew for 2 hours and "finish it up", it still was nowhere close to done.
And a nice blurry closeup.
I am not really satisfied how the corners ended up, with the borders mating together in a somewhat funky fashion. In a perfect world, I'd take this out and do something different. But where it is eventually going on my bed, I am unconcerned/unbothered.

The colors photograph horribly. I may try some outside in the grass today. These fabrics in person are absolutely lovely. The deeper olive has little gold metallic flickers. The large floral that is most of the wider border has hints of aqua too. While it is more subtle and earthy than I envisioned before I actually selected fabrics, I do love the end result. I had never made a feathered star, nor had I ever sewn so many traigles (or cared that I didn't chop off points!). It carries the "Summer" colors I love - the earthy tones to remind me of the sand and dune grass; the turquoises and deep greens that mimic the ocean water, and the hints of red and pink which are our very transient flowers. It is most definitely a cooler version of summer, which again, is most appropriate for me, living in Maine.

I would love to have this hand quilted, but have to wait until one of my quilts returns from the Amish to make certain that this is who I want touching this quilt. I believe that this is square enough to be machine quilted, but even then I am not certain! I'll worry about that come January when all the Christmas sewing is completed.

On Saturday, I brought my 21 quilts to donate to Project Linus at their annual event at the Mardens Discount store. Last year they gave each person 3 FQ per quilt they donate. This year we could select 3/4 yard for each quilt. I left there with about 20 yards of great finds, many in 2 yard pieces. With all my mini's completed, all my larger quilts off being quilted (ie., not needing binding yet), and my dresses about finished up, I am off to my dreamy-quilt land, where I can freely pull fun fabrics and make new Project Linus tops to finish off for next year's donations. I'll show some of what I have been playing with this weekend in the coming days~

7 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Wow, 21 quilts donated! Congratulations. How nice to get some fabric for them, too.

Your summer flimsy is amazing. And it looks like it took an incredible amount of work. Hope you find a great quilter -- it deserves one!

Lady Beekeeper said...

That quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

I know what you mean about sometimes the borders take a lot longer than you expected. I am in the process of a working on the a quilt and the SASHING took 10 times as long as I expected.

That one is just a beauty.

Paula, the quilter said...

This is such a lovely top. Reminds me of the Gulf of Mexico too. I like the setting.

dot said...

What a beautiful quilt. This is just lovely.

floribunda said...

that quilt is a stunner! I bet you can't wait to have it on your bed...

Vicki W said...

It's absolutely beautiful!

Emma said...

Stunningly beautiful! And I'm amazed you managed to make 21 quilts to donate, that's a huge and generous effort and achievement!