Saturday, December 05, 2009

Making the Best of Things

After receiving my rows of 9" star blocks from a Row Robin swap, I promptly set to work repairing and resizing the ones that were in need. There were a few that just "did not play well" with the others, mostly because they were either not a star or the greens were too forest green and not enough of the olive.

I pulled out these blocks and last weekend put two table runners together. These will be for my sons teachers for Christmas. This first one, I actually made two additional stars. The center block was 10" not 9.5" and I just didn't know how to make it work easily with all of the other smaller blocks. The stars I made are simple 8-point stars but they have a gorgeous deep red Fairy Frost to make them more festive. Those of you who visit here know how much I love the Fairies.
Lisa sent me too many fantastic Christmas prints last month, and I got to use some of them here. It's such a simple pattern for a runner, but it turned out to be very simple and effective. So much so that I did another one just like it.
The quilting on this first one was done all on the longarm, even all of the ditch stitching. I am slowly forcing myself to do more and more outlining/ruler work.
Here's the second runner. This is a great thing to use that tree block on. I don't know how this could be seen as a star, but it is perfect on a holiday quilt, especially with the pinwheels, which I just didn't care for the green background of with the other blocks. With the tree, they look like they were made for eachother. I longarm quilted most of this runner, but took it to my home machine for the outline stitching (before I got brave enough to do it on the LA)
The quilting is essentially the same on the two pieces...feather leaves, ribbon curls in the red sashings, and stippling around the stars.

...and the back of one...
I love how they turned out so much that I am seriously considering making runners from the entire stash of these blocks, or at least one for my holiday table.
Have a good weekend (PS, we are getting SNOW!


12 comments:

Karen said...

You did a beautiful job on the quilting esp. the feathers!

andsewon said...

Your runners are beautiful! Your quilt will be also.
You did great working with what you were given.
Lola

Bobbi said...

Glad to see you were able to salvage the blocks that did not work. As for the last 25 blocks left, I love the layout! I think it will end up looking wonderful.

Cathie said...

Very pretty runners. I don't know how you could decide whether to use some of the other blocks for more runners, or to use them all together. The blocks are also very pretty, with great rich but muted colors.

Kathy said...

Those runners are beautiful. THe quilting is just wonderful -- you are doing excellent with that new LA -- a natural!

Kathy said...

Simply Marvelous runners! The teachers at your son's school will be very lucky!

Unknown said...

WOW! You certainly know how to make silk out of a sow's ear! Those runners are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S...shows the blocks off very well!
look forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the blocks...
hugz
Pam

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

That is some lucky teacher! Those are beautiful.

black bear cabin said...

table runners are a good idea...and they make such lovely gifts! by the way, your quilting is gorgeous! :)

Luckybear said...

Your quilting is really beautiful. It is hard to believe that you have had your long arm for such a short time.

Myra said...

Wonderful table toppers! Awesome job on the quilting!!! 8-)

Erika Mulvenna said...

Beautiful runners! Fabulous quilting patterns. I love the blocks you have left and think they would look just perfect together OR as runners!