Thursday, June 23, 2011

Adding the Finishing Touches

There's a lot happening right now at my house. The renovation is winding down. Still awaiting the countertops, but the last dining room box was unpacked last night, and all plastic is officially off of the floors. I need to decorate walls, but this quilt is part of that. And at the moment, I am readying it for the show it is going to next month. It has been 98% done for months now. This week I stitched on the hanging sleeve and finally added these little forget-me-not flowers. I went through about 4 perturbations on how to make a bad little flower before I settled on these. Go figure, these were the ones from Karen Kay Buckley's original design that I thought I was not going to use. I guess I figured I would add my own flair to the center block by creating my own little flowers, or so I thought. But I lack the energy for trial and error right now. I planned them to be a peachy color as well, but last summer I already made two in the light blue, si it was simplest just to make 2 more the same rather than 4! Could be lazy?...yea, but the little blue flowers aren't all that bad.
They are made from 2 circles of fabric (the back circle is actually aqua), and then embroidery floss is used to cinch them in to a flowery shape. The teeny-tiny seed pearls hide the floss. Then the ultimate in lazy - they are glued to the quilt (gasp!) - an heirloom quilt with glued on flowers. Shock! I just didn't want to see stitching on the backside and want the flowers to keep their dimensional look with floppy petals.


Now, a label, and some good photos and I think "Intertwined" is ready for delivery.


6 comments:

Elaine said...

Those are very cute little flowers. That should look great on your walls.

Lynette said...

Those little blue flowers are wonderful!

Desley said...

I think the blue colour is nice. Glad to hear the renovation is almost done.

Rhonda said...

Simply awesome!!!

Ivory Spring said...

Love those flowers! Very pretty!

Rebecca said...

Beautiful!! Simply Beautiful!!