Thursday, June 09, 2011

Sea Glass Teasers

Here's a couple more teasers of the body of this quilt. It is all constructed of 60 degree wedge blocks, sometimes called kaleidoscope blocks, in graded batiks. I am doing mostly free-handed quilting in the water-color region. I have done 10 of the 48 blocks so far. I am selecting more organic looking motifs and fillers to quilt like feathers, water-ripples, swirls, and those shell-ish circles I have stitched out. Since my threads mostly blend, I need the textures to convey the quilt.
The ocean area of the quilt is proving nearly impossible to get a good picture of. For one, the darker fabrics just don't show the texture well, and there really is not too much here besides different fillers. It looks better than what this picture is showing, trust me.

Question...It turns out that my MQS winnings are all in the form of thread (from WonderFil) - $1000 of thread to be exact. If you use this brand of thread, and have a particular favorite, drop me a comment and tell me which one. I am also interested if there are ones good for just DSM piecing as well as (and mostly for) for longarm quilting. Thanks

4 comments:

old hippy chick said...

I could easily spend a grand at the Wonderfil booth!! They have some pretty cool specialty threads. I restrained myself and only spent a hundred.

floribunda said...

Seems sort of bogus to give you a "cash prize" in the form of thread! I have used some of the Wonderfil -- mostly their plain 50-weight cotton, which they compare to Aurifil. It's fine for piecing although I've been disappointed to find some knots in it. I think I've also bought some of their metallics... need to go and look at the thread rack!

Ivory Spring said...

Beautiful teasers indeed!

Raylene Smith said...

I LOVE wonderfil thread...invisifil is my favorite...I like a fine thread...I have no problems running it thru my gammill classic, sews like a dream...have given the metallics a very brief try...need to play more...